Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Plax & the Giants

If you haven't had the chance to read Kevin Hench's article on Plaxico Burress, do yourself a favor and read it now.

I love how everyone in the media does one of four things when something tragic like this happens to a sports-figure; in this article, the author does all four of them at once:

1) They get on the high horse and lecture the player like he or she is actually reading the article and taking their advice into account (example: "This must have gone over really well with all his teammates — particularly the offensive and defensive linemen lugging that extra weight — who were choosing to participate despite making far less money than Burress.")

2) They speculate as to why this event happened and make suggestions as to how a team can avoid it from happening again (Example: when Hench talks about Rosenhaus and how he allegedly manipulates Plaxico to get more money from his team)

3) They relentlessly criticize everyone involved in the situation so that fans get angry and agree with their analysis (example: "For Coughlin, it was simple: 50 strikes and you're out. For one game.")

4) They make some obnoxious, snide comment that's supposed to be funny: "In other words, don't let the gun discharge into your thigh on the way out the door, Plax."

My take on Plaxico is actually a bit different from Hench's:

- I'm happy he's out of the NFC East although the Giants are playing very well without him.

- Plaxico is yet another example and casualty of the pressure young athletes with money and fame have to deal with every day. I'm not defending his behavior, but I do feel bad for the guy because:

a. The courts won't feel sorry for him; Mayor Bloomberg won't feel sorry for him either
b. The fans won't feel sorry for him because he has money, fame and talent and is "supposed to act a certain way"
c. Just owning a gun is not a good enough reason to do three years in prison (if you ask me)

- I'm happy Antonio Pierce may be suspended since he's just as good as Plaxico! Again, this is good for the Redskins and bad for the Giants. Both players will be missed in the playoffs this year.

- The last time we saw an athlete and a handgun together in a nightclub, we had Ray Lewis. I know Plax may be going to jail, but at least no one got hurt and at least he didn't seriously injure himself. He'll go to jail for at least a year, stay in shape, and like Michael Vick, will be back in the NFL before you know it. (Yes, the NFL is one of the few places where you get second and third and fourth chances; like it or not, you know someone will resign Plaxico as soon as they can)

- Nick saw this one coming a long time ago. I believe his words were, "Plax is one of those guys with off-the-field problems we will never know about."

1 comment:

Nick L. said...

Yeah, I really wasn't surprised about this. People seem so outraged. Was anybody really surprised that Plax (and lots of other NFL players) carry guns? I'm not saying it's ok, but I'm not surprised!



I understand the reason for the gun law in NYC. I also don't want to be overly biased here. Regardless of how this turns out legally, I want him gone from the Giants because I don't think they need him and I don't think he's dedicated to the team....................................................but, doesn't 3 1/2 years in prison sound like a lot for shooting yourself in the leg by accident? There are some pretty heinous crimes that send people away for less time than that. 3 1/2 years is long time. Again, it has nothing to do with my Giants affiliation, because regardless I want him gone. I just don't think anybody needs to go to prison for over 3 years for accidently shooting themselves. Michael Vick will be out in less time than that. Leonard Little was on the field the next season, and he killed somebody!! And then he drove drunk again, and got a contract extension at the end of that season! I'm surprised I haven't accidently shot myself in the leg before. It's only a matter of time. Hopefully I won't be in New York City when it happens.