Tuesday, November 27, 2007

"This is as good as it gets!"

Thanksgiving weekend 2007 Pt. 1

Well, friends, as you may have noticed, we have all taken a little break from our postings here in the roomofzen. With Thanksgiving, a long weekend and the onset of cold weather many of us have retreated into the warm, comfortable realm of slothliness. I'm not sure if that's a word, but it should be. A lot has happened over the last week so I will do my best to recount the highlights and lowlights of one of my favorite weeks of the year...in no particular order as usual.

I guess it was a couple of years ago that I discovered the pure alcoholic splendor of the-night-before-thanksgiving. As a boy who spent a good deal of my youth seeking out and consuming alcohol whenever possible (I admit, it was much much cooler to get drunk off of three natty lights and a warm heineken when I was 15 than it is now) I really had no idea of the absolute debacle that this night is for adults. I can only vouch for myself and my hometown of Newburyport, MA, but its like a big middle school reunion where everyone is drunk and having the same conversation (hey how are you? what are you up to? I'm drunk. Me too. awkward silence...looking around the bar...Well see you later) over and over again until your cab comes. I'm not doing a good job at making it sound cool, but I really think it is. Call me crazy. Sometimes its fun to see the quiet kid from your freshman basketball team lean against the wall and knock a picture of the cast of Jaws onto the floor. Sometimes its fun to see the girl that was hot and a real bitch in 9th grade carrying around an extra 40lbs. I'm really not there for the spite, in fact I'm there for the Jack and Cokes.

Anyway it was good to see some familiar faces. One thing I love about thanksgiving is that people go home, they go to see their friends and family. You don't have to give presents, you don't have to pretend to like presents people give you, you don't need to wear a costume. All you really need to do is hang out, drink, eat, and watch football. Also, naps are key. Basically this is why Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It is also why I chose to take monday off, thus extending my holiday experience into this week. But I'll get to that later.

First, I came across this gem while exploring the wondorous smorgasborg that is YouTube: An interview of Randy Moss by none other than.....Stephon Marbury! Enjoy this:



If you watched the video read on, if not skip ahead to the section titled "Go Fuck Yourself"

First: Randy Moss, enormous baddass...and he wears SOCKS AND SANDALS! If this doesn't make him more of a baddass than I don't know what does. I envision a future wear athletes stop using guns and cars and women of ill repute to make themselves seem more badass and start doing crazy shit like wearing fanny packs and those old tube socks with the different colored stripes on them. Picture Kevin Garnet doing a post game interview and casually pulling a stick of chapstick from a black leather fanny pack. Panties would be flying everywhere.

Second: An obvious one...Randy Moss chooses Tom Brady as the quarterback he would most like to play for. If this isn't destiny than I don't know what is.

Third: Listening to Randy Moss' story about his sudden trade to Oakland only gives me more respect for the guy. What a shitty situation, not to mention that he was traded to the Oakland Raiders. This would be like waking up next to your wife one day and she says "Hey, I've got AIDS...and I got it from your Dad, I should have told you before we boned last night." How are you supposed to go to work that day? If the Patriots don't re-sign Moss Ill be surprised, and by surprised I mean Pissed off.


Coming soon...Pt. 2

No comments: