Thursday, September 11, 2008

"Take 5" Week 2...


If you were scoring at home I was 4/5 last week with the NFL picks, missing only on the Patriots. I give the Gambling Gods credit, that was literally the only way that the Pats weren't going to cover. Fair enough. Adding insult to "The Injury", I neglected to follow my own advice on any of them. So, I'm going to do a few things from now on:

1)I'm calling this weekly series "Take 5" because I will only select 5 games each week. Why 5 games? I don't know. I guess 5 was all I could focus on last week so why strive for more? Seriously, we're talking about beating the spread here not training for a triathalon. Also, I enjoy the Dave Brubeck classic "Take 5", and hence, I have stolen its title. Booyah.

2)I will always include one delicious upset per week.

3)Probably...and I mean Probably...continue to not follow my own advice. But just remember that if I steer you to untold riches you owe it to all of us (mostly to yourself) to purchase a BonerSalad tshirt with your winnings.


Here we go...


****UPSET OF THE WEEK****
1) Buffalo (+5.5) at Jacksonville
Loyal readers will know I am sweating the Bills hard this season. Jacksonville's o-line is seriously banged up and monster DT John Henderson has been out of practice all week for unknown reasons. For Buffalo, Marcus Stroud leads a vastly improved Bills defense into battle against his former team and former coach Jack DelRio who doubted Stroud would ever be able to return to form following an ankle injury. Add to the mix the door for the AFC East title being left very very very slightly ajar by the Brady-less Patriots and you've got upset city!

2) Pittsburgh (-6) at Cleveland
Pittsburgh looked very strong last week...Cleveland looked, well, like Cleveland. You know what I mean.

3)Green Bay (-3) at Detroit
I have to think that last week was a huge momentum builder for Aaron Rodgers and the Pack. And we all know nothing helps a team continue to build momentum like a trip to Detroit. Man if those guys could only get some decent first round wide receivers...

4)Atlanta (+7) at Tampa Bay
Matt Ryan was efficient in his NFL debut and Michael Turner was NASTY (22 carries, 220 yds, 2 TD) and singlehandedly smoked my fantasy team. The Falcons piled up almost 480 yards of offense... a first week fluke? Maybe, but I don't think Tampa can slow them down. Maybe dogfighting was the best thing that ever happened to Atlanta.

5)New England (+1.5) at New York Jets
My wise associate Bobcat frequently reminds me to bet with my head and not with my heart. But this is the internet, its supposed to be crazy. I cannot honestly remember the last time the Patriots were underdogs which makes this one too tempting for me to pass up. Matt Cassell will be banging a supermodel by Tuesday of next week, and I'll still be religiously deleting my internet History and temporary internet files folder.


1 comment:

Nick L. said...

That Atlanta game is interesting with Garcia out.

Buffalo and Jacksonville will be a great game. I gave the Jags the edge because they're at home, but that was the only edge I could find either way (although the Stroud exacting revenge angle is nice).