Saturday, January 24, 2009

Hauhili ka `ai a ke kawele`â!


In the latest example of the pro bowl being a joke Kerry Collins has been chosen to replace Brett Farve on the AFC roster. Now I can appreciate the fact that Collins had a solid year taking over for the drastically overrated Vince Young but lets get serious here, he was the QB of a team that relied heavily on defense and a punishing ground game to win. This is a good way to win football games but bad for creating pro bowl QB's. Now resisting the urge to politic for Matt Cassel's inclusion in the game I want to go too bat for the guy who is truly getting screwed here, Chad Pennington. Pennington beats Collins in every imaginable statistical category. When you compare completion % (67.4 to 58.3), yards (3,653 to 2,676), yards per game (228.3 to 167.3) and TD (19 to 12), it becomes painfully obvious who should be the AFC's fifth choice for a Pro Bowl QB. Did I mention that Pennington had the second highest QB rating in the entire league and finished tied for second in the MVP voting. This type of stuff is exactly why nobody gives a shit about the NFL's version of an All-Star game. There is no reason that a die hard Pats fan such as myself should have to go to bat for some ex-Jet Miami QB but that is the situation the NFL has put us all in by ignoring the plan facts. There is talk of the NFL moving the pro bowl to the week in between the conference championships and the superbowl in order to raise interest in the game. While I fully support this decision it will make no difference if the players who deserve to be there are not included. If Chad Pennington never makes a pro bowl (which he never has), at least he'll be able to tell his grandkids about the time he just missed it. If only he had a better year than Kerry Collins.









3 comments:

Nick L. said...

Also, as much as I hate him, I have to also throw a call in for Philip Rivers. Highest QB rating in the league. Same number of TD passes as Drew Brees with 6 fewer interceptions. All around a great year.

Demers said...

I hate him as well. It was my understanding that he was the first alternate and Collins was the second but Rivers declined to attend due to his knee. So basically my argument is that he should have been the second alternate. Regardless the whole system is fucked. Also thanks for having me on the blog dude, this is pretty sweet. Therapeutic even.

Nick L. said...

Thanks for doing it! It's great and very theraputic. I'm sorry my regularity has been off lately. I hope to pick it up a lot more once we get to NBA all-star weekend and head towards the playoffs.


Yeah, you're right on the Rivers thing. I had forgotten about that. The system does suck. There really is no place for a game like this in the NFL. How can we possibly figure out who should be on the pro bowl team in week 9!!?? Some of those choices (like Favre) seem totally ridiculous when the season was over and done with.