Friday, January 2, 2009

Tommy Heinsohn is a Homer and Other Thoughts

It's been months since my last post and a lot has gone on in that time. However, on the heels of the Celtics losing 3 of 4 out west, Charles Barkleys' stunning mug shot/surreal explanation and LaRocque's ground breaking mid podcast beer run, it felt like a good time to start writing again. In lieu of a coherent post I'll go with a random list of unrelated points.

- Before LaRocque pulled a homer move and gave his pick for the Defensive Player of the Year he should have held out for Antonio Pierce's defense at the pending Plaxico Burress trial. That joke made more sense in my head.

- If I were a Philadelphia Eagels fan I would not care that Donovan McNabb did not know a NFL game can end in a tie. To be fair I did not see the game and if McNabb played conservatively down the stretch banking on a second overtime it makes sense to a degree. But it still gets my vote for the most overblown story of the NFL season. Furthermore, for all of the criticism McNabb and Andy Reid take I'd still take them over half, in not more, of the QBs and head coaches in the NFL.

- The fact that Caron Butler's brilliance is flying under the radar is the underrated downer of the complete implosion of the Washington Wizards. I know he's been an All Star, but people don't realize how good he is. Meanwhile, when that team is moderately healthy it is one of the most entertaining squads in the entire league to follow.

- Over the last 5 years blogs have completely transformed the way die hard fans follow their respective teams. As a sophomore in college I read Bill Simmons, Peter King, Dr. Z, and...that's it. Things have changed for the better. And yet television coverage lags painfully behind. I've given up on all pre and post game shows and have a hard time listening to most announcers. Granted it's not entirely their fault. Television executives push certain agendas. However, we continue to grow increasingly savvy as sports fans and television coverage shows few if any signs of keeping pace.

- The numerous proclamations of "The Dunk contest is back!" is one of my least favorite aspects of the NBA All Star weekend. That's mainly because I've always loved the Dunk Contest. Off the top only the Fred Jones, Desmond Mason, and Nate Robinson Dunk Contests did not do it for me. And that brings me to my point. I hate the fact that Robinson is in this year's edition. If they hadn't retired his summer league jersey I'd really be up in arms.
- Maybe I'm the only one but I'd be far more worried if the Yankees picked up David Price, Scott Kazmir, and Evan Longoria this off season. Taking into account that I probably always undervalue Mark Teixeira, I still don't fear the C.C. Sabathia/A.J. Burnett/Teixeira triumvirate. And that's saying something because A) Teixeira was instrumental in my first fantasy league championship and B) Price and company all play for the Rays.

- For entirely different reasons I can't speak rationally about the Hanley Ramirez to the Red Sox and Stephon Marbury to the Celtics rumors. Moving on...

- With all due respect to LaRocque, Kobe Bryant couldn't take a team of scrubs past round one...in the Western Conference. LeBron did it with a tremendous defensive team in a significantly weaker conference. Granted I'm terrified of LeBron. But in 07' and 08' the Eastern Conference was not strong. Having said all that I encourage you to check out the end (final 12 minutes or so) of the most previous ROOMOFZEN podcast for the LeBron/Bolt debate. Babcock's jacket argument and Bolt commercial idea were fantastic.

- I caught Matt Cassell in an intense conversation with Steve Pagliuca during the Celtics/Wizards game and I really wanted to know what they were discussing.

- Every now and then Tom Heinsohn somehow brings his homerism to a new level. For example tonight he argued that a goal tending should have been overlooked because of the hustle that went into it. In the old days they would have let the fans enjoy it. I defended Gerald Green on numerous occasions and yet even I'm at a loss with Heinsohn at times.

- 7 footers are sort of like lefty pitchers in the sense that someone will always give them a shot. I bring this up because Patrick O'Bryant is starting to remind me a little bit of Matt Young. That's not a good thing.

That's it for now.

3 comments:

Nick L. said...

"fair enough" on many levels............but LeBron is terrifying. That was not a weak celtics team that he took to 7 games last year.


Either way Weeksy, it's good to have you back.

Weeks said...

I did avoid that, mainly because I did not have a good explanation for it. I thought LeBron was the best player in the NBA last year. Forget Kobe. That seems to be the popular opinion now.

Babcock said...

Rock and Roll Weeksy,

Can we all agree that the use of video game simulations to demonstrate the "finer points" of how a double team is executed, or a simple Iso is run is without a doubt the weakest attempt of the pregame shows to "stay current".

No wait, that would have to be the use of video game simulations (Like when you go to melt nacho cheese and you come back to the TV and it says "Demo Mode, press any Key to exit" and the computer is playing out a matchup between the two teams from last years SuperBowl) to spawn debate about an upcoming game. I know for a fact they do this at the College level.

Finally, when will Fox get rid of those rediculous Robot graphics? If they switch to using Transformers characters however, I would let it slide.