Thursday, January 15, 2009

Weekend Predictions...




Obviously, what I say here means nothing. There is no way to predict this NFL season, which has been one crazy twist after another. I would just say that I am looking forward to enjoying all four games as an impartial observer (I am even going to work hard not to root against the Eagles in the NFC Championship). I have a lot to say about one game, and not much to say about the other.


First....



That still happened, and I need to keep reminding myself of that in order to keep a healthy perspective on things.




Here we go:


NFC: Cardinals (+3) over Eagles:
It's becoming more and more clear that the Cardinals started leaving their playbook at home on Sundays after they clinched. We thought they had abandoned the run. Teams were blowing them out because they knew exactly what to expect and Arizona wasn't showing anything new. I've heard them scorned by a lot of people for this over the past week, and I can't understand why. They play in a shitty division. That's not their fault. Every little edge counts in the NFL, and this was a brilliant move.

I love the type of momentum that Arizona has heading into this weekend. Larry Fitzgerald has looked like Spiderman. Even with Anquan Boldin out of the lineup, Fitzgerald has elevated the level of his play (which I didn't think was possible given the great year that he had) in the playoffs. Boldin will be back this week, and frankly I don't see how the Eagles secondary can stop these guys.

Don't get me wrong, the Philly secondary has been good for a long time. But, you can beat them with size. That's always been the case. That's why Plaxico Burress was such a big signing for the Giants in 2005 (and such a huge loss in 2008). Fitzgerald and Boldin are mutants. Remember the receivers that Warner had with the greatest show on turf? These guys are bigger and better.

On the other side, the Arizona defense has been underrated all season long. They were among the top units in the entire NFL in takeaways. They already have 7 interceptions so far in the postseason (although I'd be shocked if Donovan McNabb helped them out the same way Jake DelHomme did). I love the way they play, and every time I watch them I'm shocked at how underrated they are (Dansby, Okeafor, Berry, Wilson, DR-C).

Finally, the Cardinals always play well at home. This game sold out fast, so it should be loud. We all know that Kurt Warner requires near-artificial conditions, completely free of any wind, cold, or precipitation to throw the ball well. There could not be a more perfect place for this game to be taking place than in Arizona.

The Cards offense looks unstoppable. They will be playing at home. They'll be getting one of their superstars back. I just don't understand how they could be underdogs in this one.


Pittsburgh (-1) over Baltimore: I hate to say it, but I just don't see Baltimore winning this one. You could talk to me all day about the Raven's defense (which I respect a great deal), and you will not convince me that they are better than this Pittsburgh defense. Joe Flacco has a bright future, but he will not move the chains against these guys. That Baltimore defense looks beat up. I get the sense that Baltimore has proven their point. People were ignoring them. Now they have their respect. In a snowy, frigid night game in Pittsburgh, I'm taking the Steelers. I hope I'm wrong.

1 comment:

Babcock said...

There is only one SpiderMan...Andre Rison.