Monday, April 27, 2009

On The Fly



As amusing as this screenshot is, it only tells half the story. They should make some type of graphic next year that factors in the impact that AI's contract coming off the books had for Detroit. I think the move was great for Denver, and I've stated that they are infinitely better with Billups. But, this was a great move for both teams. The Pistons were looking at a second round exit no matter what this season.


I have moved and am still without internet. This is on the fly. All I keep thinking is that I have cousins in elementary school who knew that John Salmons should have been fouled at the end of overtime. That isn't meant to be taken in a "Doc Rivers is such an idiot" type of way. Rivers has been spectacular, and could have easily walked away with coach of the year honors (for the second time). But, now that he's been burned, hopefully he will not make this mistake again.

Finally, while we are discussing introspective athletes (see babcock below this), please take a look at this gem from Jake the Snake Roberts. It's like The Big Lebowski and Eastbound and Down all rolled in to one, but real:

3 comments:

Babcock said...

I believe that that clip of Jake the Snake Roberts comes from a documentary called "Beyond The Mat", which I have heard is excellent...it is the inspiration for "The Wrestler" which, if you haven't seen it yet is an amazing film. Depressing, but amazing.

Nick L. said...

It does indeed.....I was going to post the clip in which he states that his mother was impregnated with him at age 13 by her mother's boyfriend, and then takes us through the progression of how his marriage failed...

"first, you see one hot chick, and you want to bang her.....then it's one hot chick and one ugly chick......then two hot chicks at the same time......then two hot chicks at the same time with toys.......then three hot chicks....then three hot chicks with toys...."

I would postulate that the "marriage is ruined" part comes somewhere earlier in the chain of events he describes, but I guess he's speaking from experience.

This progression also explains why Rick James eventually had to resort to tying up hookers and burning them with crack pipes instead of just sleeping with them.

What kind of girls double up on Jake the Snake?

Demers said...

I finally saw "The Wrestler" a couple of days ago and as I suspected it should have definitely won best picture instead of "Slumdog Millionaire". I saw that in the theater and it just didn't sit well with me. I left the theater thinking "that was ok, but best picture?". Darren Aronofsky will get his due eventually.