Thursday, June 11, 2009

Tom Thibodeau: Successor to Doc Rivers?




Clearly other teams in the league aren't appreciating the Tom Thibodeau's talents. Doc Rivers is a devoted family man who says that every year he needs to reevaluate whether or not he wants to continue coaching (it reminds me very much of Tony Dungy). Now that a deal is in the works for Thibodeau to be back, I want to state on record that I think the best plan is for Wyc to reach DEEP into his pockets, and shell out big money for Thibs so that he can be groomed to be Doc's successor.

I really think Doc was the best coach in the NBA this season, no question about it. As far as I'm concerned, his ticket is punched to work here forever. However, if the Cs are able to bring home banner 18 sometime in the next two years, and if PP and KG retire at the end of that run, I wouldn't be surprised to see Doc ride out of town with them. The best thing to help Rondo and Perk lead this team into the future would be to have familiarity with the head coach. If all this happens, and Doc still wants to stay on board, then Thibs will walk and (I would hope) become a head coach elsewhere. This is the risky financial part for Wyc. But, I feel pretty strongly that this would work out well.

No comments: