Monday, October 29, 2007

Patriots Notes Week 9


So, when I balked at the 17 point spread this week and decided to not place a bet on the Pats vs. Redskins I felt as though I was making a smart decision. My buddies have been saying "Just ride the Pats all year long, just ride em" and they have been right. They've covered every single spread, including one time on an improbable Randall Gay fumble return for a touchdown against the Browns. I wish there was a way to calculate the amount of money that changed hands on that single play. I could seriously have a sick fourwheeler right now, or maybe if I was responsible, a few thousand dollars less to pay off on my student loans.

Anway, I cant say enough about the total beating that we put on the Skins. I don't remember a more lopsided game. The offense seems like it is playing on All-Madden against a 12 year old girl in control of the Miami Dolphins. A few years ago the Pats used to win games 20-17, 13-10, etc... They were close and you always came away feeling that they had outsmarted their opponent, or that they had just made one or two plays more than the opposition. Everyone patted them on the back for being such a good "team". Everyone complemented them for being "smart football players" They were still winning a lot of games but now their success is because they cheat (bullshit, except for Rodney Harrison, I'll give you that), or their coach is an asshole (probably true, but awesome). Which brings me to my first point...

-Why does everyone make such a big deal about the Pats "running up the score"? All over the media people are criticsing Bellicheck for not calling off the dogs. Last time I checked the Redskins are professional football players who make thousands if not millions of dollars to play football. Anyone making that kind of money to play a sport should have the right to get their asses kicked on television. I know these guys are competitors and all but seriously, when they lose a game I'm sure they are not contemplating suicide (except for possibly Scott Norwood and Tony Romo). They are probably sore and they are probably going to walk out of the locker room, get in a sick car, drive to a sick house, and have sex with a hot chick, or two, or three. I don't see why we need douchebags like Mark Schlereth and Chris Collinsworth sticking up for grown men who have become the "victims" of some great unsportsmanship. What they need to do is drink the coolaid. They need to savor and enjoy its flavor. I hope they hang 50 on everybody and the scary thing is that they could, including the Colts next week.

-The defense was great, maybe their most dominant performance to date. It was great to see Richard Seymour back on the field, I still call his fan hotline from time to time but I am yet to have left a message as he never seems to clear his voicemail inbox, he is probably just really busy being a huge badass. Really, its hard to say anything about the defense or the game in general without pointing out Mike Vrabel double digit tackles, 3 sacks/forced fumbles, a touchdown. Seriously, Joe Gibbs, stick to NASCAR.

-Note: I do give Gibbs props for not taking the bait on the "Did you think the Pats should have taken out their starters, etc..." questions after the game. He was very gracious in defeat and I respect that. It was clear that he knows (and probably knew) that the Patriots are the far superior team. Then he probably went home and fucked a relatively (taking his age into consideration) hot chick. I dont feel sorry for him at all.

-Randy Moss continues to dominate every week. It is hard to believe that a lot of people didn't want him on this team last spring, now it seems like the Patriots have pulled off the greatest deal in the history of the NFL, no one talks about Deion Branch anymore, and it is possible that Moss and Brady both set season records for offensive production at their positions this season. I really hope the Pats go ahead and give Moss an extension before the end of the season. He seems to like playing here, he's certainly not going to play for a better quarterback, and no organization is better poised to secure him a spot in the Hall of Fame as the New England Patriots. Check out TheRealRandyMoss.com when you get a chance, to see quotes like this one in response to a question about how he makes the two TD catches against Miami-- "I don’t want to call it luck because it’s not. It’s something that I’ve done my whole career." Also, you can buy an official Randy Moss Real Mask, LaRocque, I dare you.

-Currently the line on the Pats vs Colts is Pats -5. I am going to take this one, and I would be surprised if they dont win by at least 10. This game has all the makings of an instant classic. You've got the great rivalry that has developed over the past 6 or seven years between these two teams. Youve got revenge factor from the loss in Indianapolis in the AFC Championship game. You have the two best quarterbacks in the league, two of the best of all time for that matter. Both teams are healthy and undefeated and home field advantage is at stake, and we all know how important that is in the NFL. I give the Pats the edge on both sides of the ball. I think that Indy's Defense, which has been playing well and locked up the Pats last year in the playoffs is going to be exposed. Theyve got a passrushing Dline that will have problems with the run since this year they wont have 8 int he box the whole game. Bob Sanders will actually have to cover downfield instead of sitting at 8 yards unblocked and making tackles, check that, Bob Sanders will try to cover receivers downfield. I see Randy Moss running past everyone at least once. The real hero on offense will be either Welker or Stallworth who will get lost in the slot and have there way in the open field with Indy's linebackers.

My call: Patriots 35-21 in control all game.

No comments: