Saturday, October 27, 2007

Saturday Morning


Went to the Celtics final preseason game last night, and couldn't be more excited about the prospects for this season. Despite having watched all of the preseason games up until this point, I still sat in disbelief as I heard the names in our starting lineups announced. I still sat in disbelief in section 309, where I sat many times last season, at how much energy there was in the Garden for a preseason game. A few thoughts on the game:

-Despite some sputtering late in the second quarter, the Celtics dominated all phases of the game, and in the end defeated the defending conference champs by 25.

-Nothing has ever made my blood curdle like hearing the announcement "Into the game for the Celtics, number 44 Brian Scalbrine replaces Kevin Garnett." This has to be the biggest downgrade you can make in the NBA today. However, the reverse announcement was made about 5 minutes later, and suddenly I felt incredibly rejuvenated.

-I harp on this a lot, but I'm still waiting to see what Scal has to offer. I hear Doc and Danny and Tommy talk all the time about the little things that he does. Every time I go to a game, I expect that maybe I'll be able to see it more clearly. But, once again last night I wathced him on both ends of the floor and was completely unimpressed. As I complete my third preseason of the Scalabrine era, the only positive aspect of his game that I can see is that he occasionally goes on a streak where he can't miss from the outside when the other team decides to leave him alone on an island. But, we now have two of the league's best 3-point shooters. I don't want Scal taking that shot! Tommy always says that Scal would be a great coach. Maybe the best thing for us would be if he and Doc switched positions.

-It was more evident than ever last night that a huge burden has been lifted from Paul Pierce's shoulders. Pierce was the Celtics high scorer at the end of the first quarter (scored 7 points in the first three minutes), before the Cavaliers stuck LeBron James on him. After that, he was able to look elsewhere, not allowing Cleveland to focus their defensive attention on any one man. The Big Three all finished with impressive numbers. Ray Allen caught fire in the third quarter and gave the Celtics more of a cushion. Allen finished with 20 points while KG had a triple double (21 pts 13 boards 10 assists).

-I have been impressed by Perk and Rondo all preseason. I feel like we're really only now seeing what Perk can do when he's healthy, and Rondo has been getting better every game since he first began starting at the point last season.

-This is probably ridiculous, but I really wonder if KG has the chance to be the only other player besides the big O to average a triple double. Obviously a lot of things would have to go right for this to happen, but I have to believe that his chances have to be better than most players. He passes so well for a big man, particularly out of double teams. He's got great scorers all around him. He's a lock to average the double double for points and rebounds. Frankly, his passing is the aspect of his game that has been the most impressive thus far. Maybe we can revisit this in a few months.

-Big Baby is a serious player. The guy has moves.

-Next trip is November ninth with Babcock against Atlanta. The Celts open up with a tough schedule. First Washington then Denver and then an Atlanta team that is more dangerous than people think. They could really take some people by suprise. We will most likely play a simulation on NBA live 08, then hit the fours, then to the game. We'll have all the details for you here.

-As an aside, Genarlow Wilson was finally released from prison in Georgia yesterday. Here is the story about him that was run in ESPN in January: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=wilson You may have to paste it into your browser. It's worth a read. I have been thinking about him ever since I read it, and can't believe it took this long for him to be released.

No comments: