Monday, October 29, 2007

Total Domination, The Circle, etc... Part 2

So, as a disclaimer, I apologize for the many spelling errors and inconsistent capitalizations in my first post. I will make every attempt in the future to complete these blogs in a more professional manner. Admittedly, I never excelled at Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing. I type the same way I used to jerk off when I was 14: furiously, with little regard for hand and finger placement. But that is neither here nor there, I will just try to proofread a little bit closer in the future. Now down to business...

When I woke up at 5:30am on Thursday I felt like shit, physically. Mentally, although groggy, I was excited and during my morning drive as I switched back and forth between Howard Stern and WEEI Sports Radio 850am, I could hardly wait to finish with my daily water sampling (such is the plight of a field geologist) so that I could once again head north to the Circle, this time with the promise of both college football and the World Series awaiting. I'll skip the events of the day, partly because it is far from exciting and partly because I like the fact that nobody really knows what a Geologist does.

6pm:

I play in a men's basketball league at the gym in Salisbury which happens to b right down the street from the Circle. This is extremely convenient for post workout/game beers. By a magnificent twist of fate, my team was scheduled to play in the 6pm slot (they also have 7, and 8pm games which would have clearly sucked on such a night) We won our game and I was out of the steamroom and showered up by 735, by 745 I had assumed a prime seat at one of the picnic tables that sits along the wall in the main television room. This particular table has a picture of a russian weightlifter completing a deadlift and a photograph of the 1978 USC football team lacquered onto its top, why I do not know. I'm telling you the ambiance of this place is remarkable. I made my way to the bar for the first of more than a few tall Busch drafts and sat down to watch the BC game already in progress. The following are my notes, again, scrawled onto a Keno card. Somebody noticed me tonight using Keno cards to not play Keno and I saw a look in his eyes that vaguely resembled the look a bum might give a pigeon who just shit on his shopping cart. I turned away and drank more.


-I admit I haven't really followed BC this season, there's been too much other stuff going on, maybe this makes me a bad fan, whatever, I've never been a huge BC fan. From what I see throughout 3 quarters...not impressed. Ryan looks frustrated, his throws errant, his demeanor very Chad Pennington-esque. VTech looks physically superior and the BC offense continues to struggle, all I can think is that I am watching Matt Ryan's Heisman hopes slip away before my very eyes. In the meantime my buddies girlfriend shows up and gives me what seems to be a disapproving look, she knows this is already my second trip to the Circle this week (this is probably because the Circle is very much a place a guy would come to get away from his wife/girlfriend, and also the kind of place where someone like me would get drunk on a Thursday night and say something inappropriate)

-So we all know by now that BC wins the game in dramatic fashion, ironically a few very poor plays by the Vtech special teams leave the door open. Ryan throws a nice touchdown pass to Calendar on a great playcall and then proceeds to vomit on the sideline, sick. I still don't know if this game helps him or hurts him in the Heisman race, I'm leaning towards hurt. If they played Ohio State today I think they'd get smoked.

-Somewhere between the end of the BC game and the start of the Red Sox game I get drunk. I know what you're thinking..."They were going on at the same time", fair enough, I have reviewed my notes from this point on and they are practically useless. They include the title of an ABBA song (Take a Chance on Me...sick video here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuB8xWeA59I), and a description of a system my buddy uses to ask someone whether or not he would bang a chick...it goes as follows...you see a chick and instead of saying "would you do her?" you say "Evelyn?" and then I (or whoever) would respond yes or no. You could also say that there were a lot of "Evelyns" at a party or bar or taco bell, whatever. Maybe in some way this is more important than the thoughts I was having about the Sox game I was watching although I have yet to figure out how. Maybe because you could easily watch the game and have the same breakdown of the Red Sox Bullpen as me but you could not have discovered that there were .75 Evelyns at a sports bar in Salisbury, MA.


Next: Saturday

No comments: