Monday, October 13, 2008

The Roomofzen Tries to Live Up to Its Name




I'm going to try to make it through this calmly (but considering that Babcock is a Patriots fan and Ted is a Redskins fan, you're eventually going to get a rant even if it doesn't come from me).


Tony Kornheiser is ten times more annoying than usual when your team is losing. Given what a crazy football weekend this was (my picks were horrible, but if NFL games were 59 minutes instead of 60, I would have done fine), what happened tonight was not a surprise. I stated last week that I have never been more confident in the Giants than I am right now. I still feel that way. The Browns needed this game badly, they had two weeks to prepare, and their stadium was rocking on a Monday night. And yet, despite that, the Giants could have won this game. If Old Man Willie McGinest hadn't prevented Eli Manning from stepping into his pass to Amani Toomer in the fourth quarter (the pass wasn't thrown hard enough, was intercepted, and returned for a TD by Eric Wright) I think they would have.

Because of what happened with the Patriots last season, we are all currently conditioned to expect the league's top teams to cruise through the regular season. But, there won't be any teams like the '07 Patriots in 2008. And, in the grand scheme of things, this was a best-case-scenario loss. They weren't overpowered, they just played like shit (3 INTs from Eli and Aaron Ross missing tackles, slipping, and cramping). I don't envision them playing that poorly again. On top of that, they are still in first place in the NFC and Tony Romo is out for a month............ok.......maybe now I can sleep.


One last thing I just have to throw out because of my bitterness.......There is no history between the Browns and Giants! That team they were talking about is the Ravens now! That team Bill Beichick coached to a Monday night win is the Ravens now! There is history between the Giants and the Ravens! And, since we play the Ravens this season, that might have been a better matchup since those two franchises that used to have epic battles also met in the Super Bowl in 2001! This wasn't the first Monday night win for the Browns since 1994; it was the first Monday night win for the Browns in their history. So, Browns fans, congratulations on the first prime time win for your shitty expansion franchise.*







*I'm sorry. I couldn't help it. Kornheiser drove me to it. I'll feel bad tomorrow.

No comments: