Friday, October 10, 2008

Take 5: Enter The Guru


After another solid week of beating the spread in the NFL my record stands at 12-8 on the season...but this is no time to rest on my accolades. My buddies have taken to calling me 'the Guru' because I can now often be found in a zen-like state flipping through printouts of the latest lines at the Winner's Circle in Salisbury, MA enjoying a gingerale and watching 3 college football games simultaneously. Watching 8 straight hours of college football while enjoying chicken fingers and the company of my close friends and Keno addicts alike has become an important piece of my journey to sports enlightenment. Alas, such is the life of a Guru.

First the NFL:

***Upset Of The Week***

Baltimore + 5.5 @ Indy
I'm with LaRocque on this one...I thought Indy was due last week but it took some of the worst Quarterbacking in the history of the NFL for them to cover. Baltimore's defense is NASTY and I'm officially jumping on the "Joe Flacco is a decent Quarterback" bandwagon. Booyah.

Carolina + 2 @ Tampa Bay
I don't know why I sweat the Panthers so much. Is it because Steve Smith, Johnathan Stewart, and Muhsin Mohammed all start on my fantasy team? Yes, yes it is.

Miami + 3 @ Houston
No one wants to play Miami right now, they're riding the biggest wave of momentum the franchise has seen since the 1980s. Williams and Brown will be too much for the Texans to handle. Sage Rosenfels. Ridiculous.

Green Bay +2 @ Seattle.
Yes the lines have been changing all over the place and perhaps suggest that something is afoot with this matchup... but I am going with my gut here. My gut says "Seattle SUCKS man", with a Midwestern accent.

NY Giants -8 @ Cleveland
The Giants are the best team in football right now. There, I said it. Honesty is one of the guiding principles of the Guru.



Take a second to notice the picture of Greg Lloyd which we proudly display on our site, then watch these:





Bad Ass.






Now the Guru's College Teasers...




Rather than do the combo's for you I'm going to give you the top 15 college teases and you can mix and match as you wish...spreads listed include the 9 point tease...


1)Northwestern + 10.5 vs Michigan St.

2)Texas +15 @ Oklahoma

3)Kentucky + 11.5 vs South Carolina

4)W. Michigan +10 @ Buffalo

5)Oklahoma St. +23 @ Missouri

6)Georgia -3 vs Tennessee

7)Arizona St. + 37 @ USC

8)Arkansas + 27 @ Auburn

9)Northern Illinois -2 vs Miami (OH)

10)Nebraska + 29 @ Texas Tech

11)Colorado +23 @ Kansas

12)Wisconsin +15 vs Penn. St.

13)LSU + 15 @ Florida

14)Hawaii +1.5 vs Louisianna Tech

15)Notre Dame + 17 @ UNC


Rock and Roll.


I can't wait to see this movie.

3 comments:

Nick L. said...

You've written about the Winner's Circle in Salisbury, MA before (note: it's very close to Hampton Beach obviously, which is one of my favorite vacation spots in the world). But, that was before we had written at length on here about winner's in brunswick, which was the inspiration for the name of this site.

With our 1 year anniversary exactly two weeks away, I'm wondering how the Winner's Circle measures up to Winner's. To hear you describe it, it sounds like you have found a comfortable new place to "practice" as the religious folks say.

Nick L. said...

I imagine you like John Candy in Cool Runnings sitting in the bar covered in stubble listening to the horserace

Babcock said...

Yes, I am exactly like John Candy in 'Cool Runnings'.

13/15 on the College teasers