Monday, February 9, 2009

Random Observations

I'm not sure if anyone else is feeling the same way but baseball is creeping into my head a lot earlier than it usually does. I have been watching the Ken Burns series on baseball and it really gets you thinking about what an important part of our culture baseball is. The DVD set is kinda pricey but totally worth it if your are at all interested in the history of the game. I hope kids today are still interested in this type of stuff.


I Knew It!!!

When I heard that A-Rod had tested positive for Steriods back in 2003 I literally couldn't stop smiling. Even now writing almost 48 hrs later I'm having a hard time keeping a straight face. I have been waiting years for this to happen. In fact I think A-Rod is the only player that I openly wished would get caught using Roids. I just absolutley despise A-Rod. Any past controveries were nice little bumps in the road for him, that I enjoyed temporarily but were not to last. This is a totally different situation. Once your name is rumored to be attached to steriods your gonna have a hard time, when a postive test turns up you are tagged with it for your career. You know Joe Torre is laughing a little heartier today.

I think it is time that we start to give Jose Canseco his due. I'm not saying I support him for being a rat but he was called a flat out liar by a lot of people, especially in Major League Baseball. The fact that almost everything that he has said or published about different guys has come true gives him credibility that frankly MLB and the players union cannot claim.

So I was cleaning the basement during the Celtics-Spurs game sunday so I didn't get get to watch it that closely but I have to give my fellow granite stater Matt Bonner props for kicking some ass. Everytime I came upstairs the dude was all over the Celtics. Whether it was banging 3's, hitting the boards or suprisingly slicing to the hoop, the Celts didn't have a answer.

Like I said I didn't watch closely enough to give an in depth assessment of the Celtics play but I have to say they seem to be losing games that I would expect them to win. I know this is knit picking for a team that is 42-11 but it has crossed my mind that they might not have the same success this year. This is most likely my pessimistic Boston sports fan psyche coming through. Even though the last decade should have cured me of this frame of mind I think that I'm going to have too except that this is my default position.

Hopefully those of you out there who are seeking to reach a Zenlike state are fans of the Dayton Ohio based 90's lo-fi superstars Guided By Voices. I can't recommend them enough. If you have ever fantisized about starting a band with your buddies and rocking out some major drinking tunes then GBV is a band you need to familiarize yourself with. Any major band that comes to play the town picnic and seems right at home is the balls in my mind. Check out lead singer Robert Pollard weilding the whiffle ball bat and a beer at the same time. The stuff legends are made of. Since I can't figure out how to post a video check em out here.

No comments: