Friday, February 20, 2009

Real Men Score Empty Net Goals




So, just about all of us on the roomofzen staff attended Bowdoin College. Not surprisingly, I have received this link from Barstool Sports in my email inbox about 7 times today. Since we are all connected to this, I feel the need to comment.

I worked at the hockey games during all the years I was in college. During this time, I was always struck by the overall lack of understanding amongst the students about the general conventions of sports fandom. It's like none of them have ever attended a live sporting event in their lives. I did the color commentary for the live internet feeds (often sauced up, because the old rink was freezing) during my last two years and I remember getting in trouble several times for making negative comments about the home crowd. The usual culprit was the "safety school" chant while you were losing. This, to me, was the most embarrassing thing you could do. Your team is losing, so you start chanting about how smart you are? The proper protocol would be to shut the fuck up or to continue insulting the other team. Everyone should know this. There's no reason to bring books in to the mix.

Anyways, judging from this story, it sounds like things have gotten worse. I have been to a lot of hockey games. I had season tickets to the Whalers for about 6 years. Never in my life have I ever seen or heard fans make fun of an empty net goal. Empty net goals are badass. Not only do they pad your stats, but they put the final seal of approval on your victory over a desperate team. It's like slamming the door, putting the icing on the cake, or whatever else you might say. This stuff is not hard to understand, and yet I'm not surprised. They need to have some type of etiquette classes for the fans.

As for the part about "fairy", I've really never taken that word to mean homosexual. I've always thought of it the same way I think of "pussy". I imagine people saying "chug that beer you pussy", but using "fairy" instead if they are with girls who they don't want to scare off. But, that's just me. However, this seems unimportant. The real crime here is a blatant disregard by the student body for the ebb and flow of live sports.


Embrace the weekend......

No comments: