Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Final Countdown




As exciting as the buildup to the Super Bowl can be, there is always the sinking feeling that starts to set in right about now. Sure, at first it won't be so bad. We'll all make sure we tune in to ESPN so that they can milk the story of the Super Bowl and its heroes for weeks after the game has finished. Those of us who consider ourselves intelligent and right-minded sports fans usually cringe at the kind of swill the ESPN spits at us, blowing stories out of proportion and keeping them on the stage until long after it is their time to go. But, this is the one instance in which I will gravitate to them like an idiot. Anything to keep the spirit of the season alive.

The transition out of football season can be brutal. Some desperately try to fill the void by making big plans for the Pro Bowl. This might help you get through next week, but the empty feeling you experience during the game is perhaps the most harsh way to finally be hit with the reality that there is nothing you can do to bring the season back. Suddenly, even though the days are getting longer, the winter has never seemed so dark and cold. I've been hurt by the Pro Bowl too many times, which is why I won't be watching this year.

I've heard a lot of people complaining about this Super Bowl being a "vanilla matchup." The radio stations in Boston have spent more time talking about Jason Varitek, Giselle Budchen, and girls high school basketball (100-0) than they have about the game. I want to take this opportunity to encourage everyone out there not to approach this day passively. This is one of the best days of the year, and its the last chance you'll have to immerse yourself in pure NFL bliss for the next 7 months. Embrace it. Celebrate it. You'll regret it if you don't.

If you've listened to our Super Bowl podcast, then you know that we expect a very exciting matchup. Here are some points that were left out of the podcast that I'd like to touch on quickly:


1) The importance of Willie Parker: Because we've all been so mystified by the fact that Arizona suddenly seems to have a running game, and because Willie Parker has been in and out of the lineup, nobody seems to be talking about how important Pittsburgh's run game is going to be. The Steelers NEED to run the ball to win this game. Arizona's defense has excelled on third downs this postseason, and they have forced a lot of turnovers. Willie Parker will need to gain good chunks of yardage on first and second down to keep the offense on schedule. I don't think as highly of Ben Roethlisberger as many of the experts do, and I think he's going to turn it over a couple of times if he's not dealing with manageable third down situations.

Pittsburgh has been a team that has relied on big play touchdowns all season. Parker is a threat to take it to the house on every play. If he is able to break off a long TD run, Pittsburgh's chances for victory go way up. Willie Parker is a definite dark horse MVP possibility. Nobody is talking about him, and yet he has the potential to have a massive impact on the outcome of this game.


2) How big of a factor are Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm? In my mind this is huge. Perhaps it is being overblown by some people, but I really think it's hard to understate the potential advantage that the Cards can gain from this. I feel compelled to mention Don Nelson's Warriors knocking off the Mavericks a couple of years ago in the playoffs (probably because I hate the Mavericks).

To be honest, I think the guy that is going to have the biggest impact is Grimm. He coached the offensive line, which is a unit that has had a lot of trouble this year. He knows where their weak points are, and he knows how to attack them. If Pittsburgh can't protect Big Ben, they have no shot.

As I'm sure you know, these teams have played once since Whisenhunt and Grimm went to Arizona, and the Cards won.

I've been asking myself this question all day: "If the Steelers knew that they would have to face Whisenhunt and Grimm in the Super Bowl a few years later, would they have made a different decision about their head coaching position?"

Maybe not, because they could only name one of the two head coach.

But, if they could have kept both (maybe Whisenhunt and Grimm as offensive coordinator), then I think they would have done that instead of hiring Tomlin. This is definitely an advantage for Arizona.


3) Adrian Wilson: Everyone is talking about Troy Polamalu (for good reason). But, let's not forget that Adrian Wilson is similarly talented and has the potential to have a huge impact on this game tomorrow. Wilson, probably because he has spent his time in Arizona, has always flown under the radar. I expect him to be everywhere tomorrow, both as a blitzer and breaking up passes. One sack and one interception, that's my prediction for Adrian Wilson's Super Bowl.

If you put 10 bucks on Wilson winning the game's MVP and he does, you get 500 bucks back. Worth a shot.


4) Doesn't Troy Polamalu remind you of Pat Tillman?: The stories of Polamalu staying on the field after the practice lights have gone off and working out remind me of the stories of Tillman meditating atop the Arizona State stadium. Polamalu's quiet and reserved demeanor, his interest in art, and his style of play all remind me of Tillman. He has this sort of enlightened, wise, sage quality to him that I always thought Tillman had. Just a random thought.....

Anyways, as you know if you listened to the podcast, you know that I'm taking Arizona and Babcock is taking Pittsburgh. This is going to be a close one, and I certainly won't be shocked if the Cardinals lose. I think they will lose if Parker has a big day. But, as I said earlier, I don't think very highly of Ben Roethlisberger. Furthermore, I don't think very highly of this Steelers offense. On the other side, I love everything that Arizona is doing right now, and I can't pick against them.


No comments: