Friday, March 20, 2009

Marching Towards Madness


BallHype: hype it up!

There is pretty much no way that I can write a dedicated post to just one of the many thoughts that have been swimming around my head in the last few weeks so I'm gona have to lay down some randomness and let the reader(s) sort it out.


- First off who the hell gives a shit about the WBC. The only people I know who are even paying semi-close attention are a bunch of Puerto Ricans I used to work with at my old job and now that they are out of it I'm sure I know no one. The bottom line is that international baseball competitions are always suspect because the best players are inevitably MLB'ers who are either A) not there to begin with or B) being held back by their major league club/own self interest. Really the only time I was even remotely interested in checking a game out was one of the times Cuba was playing, and that was only to see if there was anyone the Sox should help defect. Never mind that it has to compete with the best college basketball of the season and the NBA stretch run. Boo in general.


- Speaking of college basketball, this tourney looks to me like one of the most open fields in years. Just a rough estimate looking at my bracket and I could legitamitely see 15-20 teams that could make a run at not just the final four but the actual title. There are some 2,3 and 4 seeds that I think could be very dangerous. Last year all four #1 seeds made the final four. I don't think there is any chance that happens this year.


- The patriots have had a pretty active off season so far and for the most part I am pleased. If Belichick can somehow turn the 2nd rounder they got from KC into Julius Peppers before the draft even happens...well, you know....
VICTORY!!!!!!
A friend of mine who lives in Carolina and has watched him for the last two years swears that he is the Vince Carter of the NFL and the Patriots do not want him. I have ceased communicating with this individual but will ask the Roomofzen, yea or nay?
- I know the whole steroid use in baseball conversation has pretty much blown its load and I have heard Roomofzener's state that they don't give a shit but I have to say that I do. One of the best things to love about basball is the way numbers can be crunched to give a fairly accurate depiction of who were the dominate players of their era. During the late 80's and into the 90's with the advent of Sabermetrics these types of conversations were almost to the point were you could prove that Pedro was the most dominant pitcher for a 3-4 year period since Sandy Koufax. Now in the aftermath of around two decades of tainted baseball we are at a point when those conversations will probably never be had again. At the end of the day I enjoy watching these monstars kick the shit out of the ball and throw nasty stuff night after night out of the bullpen but the purity of the game is gone and it will never return.
(If this sounds preachy or gay I apologize but it how I feel)
- Finally I have been on a Simpsons kick for about the last three weeks. Now I'm sure most of you out their in TV Land became enamored with Family Guy in college or what not(I definitely did) but the Simpsons is the far better show. FG has lost a lot of its luster for me. This is not to say I don't watch anymore because I most certainly do but when you compare it with the Simpsons it is not even a contest. Firstly the animation is about 1000 times better. Second their are actual storylines, not just "that's like the time I..." or "thats worse than...", these are still funny but it gets a little tiresome. I feel like when I'm watching the new episodes I only really laugh like a bastard 1 out of 3. The Simpsons on the other hand contains a whole world unto itself. The amount of supporting charecters in the show is enormous and you don't have to sit through Seth Macfarlane's weird obsession with musicals/vaudville. I could keep going but I'm at work and its quiting time so peace out homies.
-

No comments: