Saturday, November 1, 2008

Foil in the Oven: Week 9 Picks




The winds of change are blowing here at roomofzen. The site is in a bit of a transitional phase, and we are all commit ed to moving forward. One thing I can promise you is that the podcast is going to be a weekly event. I can also tell you that we are taking big steps to make it bigger and better every week (I have learned all kinds of new technical language since yesterday). I made my picks on this week's podcast, so you should listen if you want to hear me and Babcock give our thoughts on each of the matchups. I will give you my picks here, along with my one college pick. I was originally going to pick Florida, but I will make another pick since that game is already underway.

As a side, I need to mention this: I was clearly way off in my pre-season assessment of the Big Ten. I was not high on Ohio State or Penn State, and I was certain that Wisconsin was the cream of the crop (as they say) in that conference. In fact, I thought the Badgers had a great chance to find themselves playing for a national title. Obviously I was way off. Fans in Madison have been calling for Bret Bielema's head during what has been an ugly downward spiral (they haven't looked right since their loss in Ann Arbor). I've defended Bret, but after watching today's loss to Michigan State, I will defend him no more. His decision to "ice" Brett Swenson today with time running out was one of the worst coaching calls I have seen. I don't understand why coaches ice kickers in the first place. However, in this case, Michigan State was looking at a fourth down with no time outs. They couldn't stop the clock. They were rushing their field goal unit out to hurry up and try to get off a desperation 44-yard FG try. They were rushing to get set up with 7 seconds left on the clock when Bielema called the timeout, giving Swenson plenty of time to size up the kick, clear his head, and get set. This guy had hit a 50 yarder 5 minutes earlier. Why would you make the kick easier on him!

Anyways, here are my picks (I was 9-5 again last week) :

The Bills take care of the Jets easily in Buffalo

Chicago dismantles Detroit

Despite being at home, the Bengals collect another home loss (this one at the hands of the Jaguars) on their way to 0-16

The Ravens go to Cleveland and leave with Derek Anderson's head on a platter

Coming off a bye, the Packers go to Nashville and hand the Titans their first loss

Tampa beats KC, but doesn't cover (they're giving 7)

With Anquan Boldin back, the Cards are too much for the Rams to handle

The Vikings knock off the Texans

Denver destroys Miami

The Falcons get swallowed up in the Black Hole

The Giants get their second division win at home against the 'Boys

The Eagles get a win in Seattle

With Bob Sanders and Joseph Addai back, the Colts drop the Pats on Sunday night

The Redskins get a home win against Big Ben and the Steelers (Ben has aged about 5 years this season)

College Pick of the Week:


Texas Tech +3.5 over Texas:

I still don't trust the Texas secondary. Graham Harrell has thrown for over 3,000 yards and has 28 TD passes this year. In his entire career at Texas Tech, Harrell has 117 TD passes. Just insane. And, the game is in Lubbock.




There are a lot of great Shaq videos out there, but none top this one in my mind:

No comments: