Sunday, December 30, 2007

The final question


This question was somehow lost in the shuffle of the pre-game post. Since it is still relevant even after the game, I thought we'd include it. It is me asking Babcock.

7) I have been a Randy Moss fan since his Marshall days. I have a fathead of him. I have had many Patriots fans (not you, but others) criticizing this decision. They said things like "how can you like a guy like that? He embodies everything that's wrong with pro sports!" "The Pats would NEVER get a guy like that!" Well, now they all worship him. So, obviously I assume that you've been pleased with the acquisition of Moss. Is re-signing him a blank check situation for you? Are you willing to pay anything? How far would this offense drop off without him (I have my own thoughts. I won't share them, but I think you know what they are).

Babcock: I think the Patriots need to sign Moss...Here's why: First Tom Brady has never had the kind of weapons that he has had this season, sure we've all heard that a million times this year but the numbers don't lie. You can do things in an offense when you have Randy Moss that you simply cannot do with any other receiver in the NFL. With Welker and Watson underneath and Moss over the top Brady is going to have the ability to put up huge numbers every year (Note: I am assuming that Stallworth and Gaffney are expendable here...they are good receivers but they are easily replaceable in my opinion.) Besides Brady himself no other single player is going to provide the offensive production that Moss can. Beyond this, I think that Moss wants to stay with the Pats. He has been in some shitty situations and now has a chance to play with one of the best QBs ever on a team that will compete to win a championship every year. I think this matters. Also, he is not going to have the chance to put up the same numbers anywhere else in the league, thus securing his legacy as one of the best receivers in NFL history and putting his name in the record books.

As a side note, I am staying in my cousin's bedroom in Santa Cruz, CA and next to the bed is a framed autographed picture of Randy Moss... he has been among my first thoughts every day since I got here. I also almost bought a Moss jersey at Logan airport but you can't get a good deal on a jersey at an Airport kiosk, everyone knows that.

I had hoped that a deal would get worked out before now, but at the same time its always good to leave contract negotiations aside until after the season, they certainly don't need any more distractions. The Patriots may have a reputation for being cold hearted when it comes to its personnel decisions which is great in this case because there would be nothing more cold hearted that they could do besides resign Moss. Basically they would be saying "Fuck You we are going to be nasty for X number of years" to the rest of the NFL. The rich getting richer in other words. As far as the character issues that you mentioned, I can't argue with you there. New England sports fans are notorious douchebags. Speaking only for myself I can say honestly that I never thought Moss was a bad idea...given the amount they paid for him. Now it would be ridiculous to not pay him, and pay him well (I won't try to give you a number here but it should be among the better deals for a receiver in the NFL taking of course into consideration the complete incompetency of most GMs in the NFL) Also, to pat myself on the back I predicted that Welker would have 1000 yards receiving this year, so I am on my way to an OTB right now.




I can't wait to see this thing all finished, Im going to get fruitloops

---A seperate note: I have been a Randy Moss fan for a long time, and anyone who knows me knows that I have been supportive of him this year and I have been very happy that he has done well. The one thing that made me happy tonight (in a game that was otherwise very frustrating) was seeing Moss in his interview stating that the best part about the record was shutting up his critics. I never understood what problems people had with this guy, but I couldn't be happier for him.

No comments: