Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Oracle Speaks, Volume 6



My name is Jon Ladd. I've been friends with Ben Babcock since 6th grade. I'm very much surprised that him and I are still alive. I've become a big fan of the Roomofzen web site, and I've followed the success of your page since the beginning.
I'm e-mailing you guys because it's a small fucking world. I actually watched a pats game at Winner's in Brunswick Maine earlier this year. I was with my father and his buddies, one of which has a place up near Brunswick. I drank four Busch beers on the car ride to Winner's. When I finally walked in I was blown away by the Pro Football Utopia we had entered.
I drank beers and ate chicken wings with my old man and his buddies. There was couple who sat right next to me because of how crowded it was. They were Atlanta Falcons fans. I was somewhat uncomfortable with them interupting my personal space, but in the end I concluded that it was nice that Patriots fans and Falcons fans could watch football together and share the same view of the waitresses ass when she walked by.
The fact that i randomly went to this Sports Bar in Maine gives me more of an appreciation for this web site. I hope that Vince Wilfork literally rips Phillip Rivers head off this sunday.


Sincerely,
Jon Ladd



(note: picture included in message to oracle)

Jon Ladd,

I am pleased to report that as I am recieving your message, the Celtics are finally starting to drive to the basket again, and have taken a three point lead just before half. This gives me great hope for this post, and I thank you for helping to turn around this team's offensive struggles.

It is indeed a small world Jon. Not only have you been to the same sacred spot as all of us, but we have all most likely also been to that spot in close proximity to your dad's friend and that Falcons couple at the same time. I can also say with 100 per cent certainty that both Ben and myself (and most likely that Falcons couple) have drank four Busch beers on the way to Winner's on occasion. As you said, a small fucking world. And yet, I can't help but feel that your experience did not take place completely by chance. Your friendship with Babcock and your loyal devotion to this site show that you are pure of heart, and I'd like to think that there was some greater force that led you to our place of worship that day. You are one of the chosen ones, and are destined (as we are) to one day find enlightenment through the ever elusive journey to find the devil throwing a banjo into the fire.



Your experience brings up another element of Winner's that I never mentioned. On Sundays, the tables that are usually seperate are suddenly lined up to form two or three very long tables with many chairs. I imagine this is how Viking armies ate in miedevil times, which is why that is how people eat at Winner's every Sunday now. Now, this means that your rubbing shoulders with some bottom-feeders. Falcons fans, Cardinals fans, the whole lot. But, your overall message is much more profound and powerful than you might imagine. Sure, I never made eye contact with any of those freaks until about the fourth quarter of my first time, and that's when I began to realize:
We're not really so different. Sure, right now your favorite team is getting ready to cap off a historic 19-0 Super Bowl run, and I'm hoping that my team will take home the NFC crown, but it's not like this for everyone. Frankly, it's an embarrasement of riches. Can't we all remember a time when we were sitting in the exact same position. Dave Brown was the Giants starting quarterback! For a long time! Him being put in prison for dogfighting would have been the highlight of my whole childhood as an NFL fan! Your message is clear: you've never been the same since that day, and the rest of the world will never be the same if they can understand what we're preaching on this site.

Great call on the volcano wings.

In closing, I wish you the best of luck this weekend. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I hate this Chargers team. Igor Olshansky has clearly never taken a trip to the Room of Zen. I only hope that my team has the honor of losing to yours twice this season.

No comments: