Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Some Thoughts on the MVP While Watching the 12 point lead grow to 21




As I watch the Celtics playing with a comfortable 12 point lead at the end of the third quarter, I can't help but be struck by the absurdity of the comments that Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor made about KG today ( see article ). I don't want to sound like one of those fans that defends the people that play for their team to no end. But, Taylor's blatant accusations that Garnett "tanked" the last five games of last season is unprofessional and totally uncalled for. I can honestly say that I was always impressed with the effort and dedication that KG gave to the Timberwolves. There are a lot of guys out there that spend their careers on bad teams, but none seemed to handle it as well as he did. Every time I saw him in a Wolves jersey, he played as if he was competing in the NBA finals (which was obviously never the case). Reports always indicated that even when he knew his teams were not playoff bound, the Big Ticket was the last man to leave the practice facility every day. He was completely loyal to the Timberwolves franchise, the Minnesota fans, and to Glen Taylor. To have him directly slammed by this dipshit owner makes me sick.

Now, I'll be honest, I'm not privy to what was happening during the last five games of the season. Clearly, it was time for Garnett to move on, and I don't know if there's any bad blood on the Minnesota end. But, there is nothing that could have happened during that five game span that would warrant publicly slamming a player that gave so many good years. Unlike some of his peers, Garnett never publicly demanded a trade. Unlike some of his peers, I am willing to bet that if Garnett was not traded, he would have returned to the T-Wolves and given his best effort every night just like he has always done. This guy has been the ultimate professional throughout his career.

Finally, Taylor's comments clearly indicate in some way that Garnett was part of the problem with last year's team. Again, I just can't get over this. Glen Taylor is asking us to look at this team, which has made so many poor decisions in the past, and point the finger at the greatest player that ever wore that team's uniform. Taylor's words speak volumes to me about the type of people that run the Timberwolves, and I'm not suprised that they have found success so hard to come by ( I realize that Kevin McHale is the GM. But, Boston fans, let's not kid ourselves, the guy was a great player but he's a total shitshow as a GM). The fact that KG was able to stay so motivated working under these people speaks volume about his character. The fact that we are up 21 on the Rockets in the fourth quarter without Ray Allen speaks volumes about what kind of player and competitor he is. Seriously though Glen Taylor, you're right. He was probably the problem, not you. That's why he's probably going to be the MVP this year.

1 comment:

MFerrante said...

I love Garnett's response:

"...I thank him for the opportunity, for giving me, when I was younger, being able to not only explore my dream, but to make it to where I am today. And that's all I'm going to say about that."

Garnett is nothing but class. I can't remember one instance in his 13 year career when he bitched and moaned about anything. Man I love him.