Thursday, October 29, 2009

Odds and Ends

Random Recommendation: Grocery store pizza. I'm not talking about grabbing something from the frozen food section. Rather I'm talking about hitting up the made to order section of a Shaws, Big Y, etc. The pizzas are always reasonably priced, tastier than you may think and frequently come in a sweet party size. Give it a shot.

Article You Should Read: Things aren't going well for old friend Delonte West. Hopefully he get's the help he needs and returns to playing ball. Let's just flash back to happier days for a moment. Also Danny Ainge took a lot of heat for his youth movement back in 2007 that was allegedly lacking in talent. Well Big Al is legit (and we knew this), there was a ton of talk about how much the Cavs needed Delonte on opening night, Perk is one of the best defensive centers in the league, Rajon Rondo is stellar, and Gerald Green...never mind. So it hasn't been perfect. Passing on Brandon Roy comes to mind. But it's been great to watch. And the Pau Gasol deal was way more of an egregious farce than the KG trade.

Game of the Week:
I'm just not overly impressed with Giants/Eagles right now, or the NFC East for that matter. I could see the division rounding into form, but we'll see. Meanwhile, the AFC east could be an under the radar solid division. Long story short I'm going with Jets/Dolphins. For the record I still enjoy Bill Parcells and wish he was guiding a NFC team.

Phrase I Can't Pull Off:
"Git-r-done." And I'm okay with that.

Some NBA Thoughts:

1. I hope the C's don't devolve into a "Live by the 3, Die by the 3" type of team.

2. I turned on the Spurs/Bulls game and thought, "I didn't realize San Antonio still had Bruce Bowen. Of course I immediately realized it was Richard Jefferson. Not sure what to make of this except the Spurs are happy with the current situation. Also, throw me in the DeJuan Blair fan club. He might give the Spurs what some people thought Jackie Butler would a few seasons back.

3. Hypothetically let's just say the wheels come off the Rasheed Wallace in Boston experience. And let's say it happens in the spring while a recently activated Leon Powe gets buckets in Boston. That may be the point Tommy Heinsohn loses his mind, repeatedly shouts "I love Leon" and pours a scotch before they cut his mic.

MLB Thoughts:

1. I thought it was surreal to see Pedro pitch against Manny. And then Pedro went to the House that tons of money built. It was fascinating. Especially when Pedro pulled off the wily veteran role in the early innings.

2. In other news, I definitely caught more C's/Bobcats than Game 1 of the World Series. That's odd.

3. I hate the music Fox is using.

Closing Thought: In college we played football with a guy who wore gloves in the weight room. He took a fair amount of abuse for that. But he continued to wear them. I bring this up because I respect him more than the guy who shows up in them, gets some heat and discards the gloves. That's sort of how I felt about Brett Favre when I saw his Sears commercial. I'm still tired of the Wrangler ads, how much fun he's having out there, his bitterness towards an organization that he toyed with for a few years, the free pass he got on that abysmal pick he threw against the Giants that ultimately cost the Pats Super Bowl #4, how much of a factor his wife is in the news, and the general Favre circus. But I get a kick out of this:

2 comments:

Nick L. said...

Great call on grocery store pizza. The Shaws near us has amazing pizza slices.


Furthermore, the summer I spent in North Carolina really opened my eyes up to what kinds of great food options Southerners have at their grocery stores.

Specifically, once you get far down South (Georgia/Florida), you'll find Publix, which is hands down the best grocery store I've been to. The subs from their deli are way better than most major sub chains (in fact, with the exception of the steak and cheese, it is WAY better than D'Angelos). They have a chicken tender sub that is unreal. You can also bring empty gallons of water, and fill them up from a machine for a quarter. You can also buy all kinds of coolers and sports-themed insulated cups for keeping beverages cold.

Whenever I'd visit friends in Georgia and Florida, I would choose to go to Publix for lunch over actual lunch places for the chicken tender sub, and people would agree. Usually, when I posit such ideas, nobody's with me.


Can gas station pizza be next week?

Weeks said...

I've only been to Florida once, stumbled on a Publix and really enjoyed it. Just reading the words "gas station pizza" brings back a lot of good and bad memories and immediately makes me feel somewhat ill.