Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Week 6 Picks: The Blue Record Edition



My deluxe copy of The Blue Record, the new Baroness album, finally arrived on Tuesday night. Because of this, needless to say, my week has kicked more ass than usual. The album is unreal. Coming off the Red Album, my expectations could not have been higher, and they were all exceeded. On top of that, the deluxe edition of the album comes complete with a live CD with 5 great live Red Album cuts. You need to get this for yourself. You can order it here.





Now, the picks.


Kansas City +6.5 over WASHINGTON: A colleague of mine, who is a Skins diehard, is making a pretty strong case for his team to be the worst in the entire NFL. At first I didn't buy it, but the more he talked with me, the more I became convinced. Even their wins have felt like losses. Despite being an NFC team, the strength of schedule factor hurts the Skins on a historic level. This will mark the 6th consecutive week that the Redskins will face a winless team. This is week 6. Every single team they have played has entered the game winless. That has never happened before. And yet, despite this cupcake schedule, they have not managed to turn in one solid performance. So, are they the worst team? You'd be hard pressed to argue otherwise.


CINCINNATI -5 over Houston: The Bengals are currently one super flukey play in Denver away from being undefeated. They also currently have the NFL's leading rusher. Carson Palmer seems to have returned to form for the time being, and you have to love the way this team is finally gelling after the better part of a decade.



PITTSBURGH -14 over Cleveland: I'm not a Browns fan (which I am thankful for every day), but I have to believe that win in Buffalo on Sunday felt like a loss. Derek Anderson, who was supposed to help breathe some life into this offense, completed 2 passes for 23 yards. Between the piss poor performances on the field, and all of the turmoil off the field (I don't know how often multiple players file grievances against their coach in the same week, but I'd imagine it means 2 things: 1) the players are unhappy, and 2) they don't feel like their coach would be receptive to them communicating that unhappiness), this team is not going to win another game.






MINNESOTA -3 Baltimore: I was sure the Vikings would flame out eventually, but they're showing no signs of that at the moment. In fact, they seem to be getting more and more powerful and in sync as each week passes. Coming off two straight losses, the Ravens are certainly hungry, but I can't pick against Minnesota at home with the way they've looked.



JACKSONVILLE -9.5 over St. Louis: What the fuck was that last week, Jacksonville? All along we've been saying that you never know what you're going to get with the Texans and Cardinals, but this Jaguars team seems like the ultimate wildcard right now. I thought they might have trouble in Seattle and I didn't expect them to win. But, I couldn't believe they got waxed like that. Still, I'll take them at home over the Rams just like I would take anybody at home against the Rams.


Giants +3 over NEW ORLEANS: Maybe I'm missing something, because just about everyone I've talked to or heard talk on tv has picked the Saints. I get that they're coming off of a bye, but the G-Men played the Raiders at home last week. I also understand that if you're not looking any further than the quarterback matchup, it's hard to go against what Drew Brees has been doing. But, this game is about a lot more than Brees vs. Manning.

The Giants can bring huge pressure with their front four, so Drew Brees will have to get rid of the ball quickly. This will prevent big plays. The Saints blitz a lot, and they can get a lot of pressure that way. But, the Giants running game is so solid right now, and it seems like they are always facing manageable down and distance. Because they are so good on the ground, it's hard for me to imagine the New Orleans blitz forcing mistakes. I've tried to slice this one a lot of different ways, and I come up with the Giants winning every time. That being said, don't overestimate the importance of this matchup. It's only week 6.


And then there's this guy.....who I hopes takes a lot of hits on Sunday:








TAMPA BAY +3.5 over Carolina: I'm taking the home team in this matchup, because I can't be bothered to consider any other elements.



GREEN BAY -13.5 over Detroit: With Calvin Johnson most likely on the shelf this weekend, it's hard for me to envision the Lions making a game of this. The Pack should be fresh after their bye week, and I'm sure they're itching to feast on the Lions after losing a tough one to Minnesota their last time out.


Philadelphia -14 OAKLAND: I don't think I realized how pitiful the Raiders were until I experienced it first hand. The Raiders only touchdown came off a Giants muffed punt and an officiating miscue which allowed them to keep possession after a fumble. If Eli Manning had stayed in for the whole game, the Giants were on pace to score 100 points.


Arizona +3 over SEATTLE: That goal line stand against Houston last week was just the kind of thing that rejuvenates good teams (see Giants in week 3 of 07-08 at Washington). That was a gut check moment for the entire season. 1-3 would have been impossible to overcome. At 2-2, I like the Cards to keep improving.



NY JETS -9.5 over Buffalo: On the plus side, the Bills defense held Cleveland to 23 yards through the air on Sunday. But, they lost that game, which is unforgivable. Coming off of two straight road losses, the Jets will cruise at home this week.






Tennessee +9.5 over NEW ENGLAND: New England has looked good at home, but I don't know if I really buy that the Patriots are good enough to be giving 9.5 here. I don't think they should have been favored at Denver last week, and certainly not by more than three! More than anything, I'm angry about the line, which I just think is too high given New England's holes. So, it may be my undoing, but I'm taking Tennessee on principle. While I'm feeling this way, I'll go bold: Titans get their first win this Sunday.



Chicago +3 over ATLANTA: I showed the Falcons no respect last week, and it came back to bite me. But, I'm still not buying it. I think the Bears make some big plays on Sunday night, and pull this one out.



Denver +3.5 over SAN DIEGO: The Broncos are undefeated, one of the Chargers two wins was a nailbiter against Oakland, and San Diego has key guys banged up. The fact that Denver is getting points at all here is absurd. More than three points certainly makes no sense.


No comments: