Sunday, October 11, 2009

Remember That Time the Redskins Lost to the Lions...And Other Thoughts

MJ's epic Hall of Fame speech did not bring me back. I did not run a post when a member of the Los Angeles Lakers married a reality television star. I remained quiet when T's Redskins eked out a win against a dreadful Rams team, lost to the Lions and barely managed to top a pretty bad Tampa Bay squad.* And to be honest I didn't even want to touch the nauseating coverage of Tom Brady's return against the Bills that gave me one of those rare, "If I were a fan of another team I would hate this" moments. And yet four events happened within a span of a couple of days that ended a months long drought:

4. I was in a police station getting fingerprinted (background check) by a wildly unfriendly police officer who said maybe 3 words to me and seemed intent on twisting my clearly bruised finger (basketball injury). The bigger point is that on our way back to the lobby I debated the pros and cons of giving him a flat tire. Could he hold me for that? Would it break the awkwardness of his surly demeanor?

3. I've been thinking about running a "Jay Leno joke of the week" segment for about 2 years now. It finally got to the point a couple weeks back where I actually almost did it. It would question the very fact that someone so unfunny could be considered the exact opposite by so many. And then this happened:

"Q: What if there was a day on Twitter where everyone tweeted Leno-esque jokes? Such as: "Dr. Christopher Post saved a man's life at a Pirates game. His only regret? The newspaper printing that he was at a Pirates game!"
-- Dan, Philly

SG: I like it. How's Oct. 16? "Sad day for Charlie Weis yesterday. No, Notre Dame didn't lose again. His local Red Lobster canceled its all-you-can-eat buffet!"

Let's be honest. I don't have that many original ideas. And when I do have one I should jump on it. Alas.

2. I had to wear a suit. That's something I rarely do. The only bright side of wearing a suit is it always makes me think of a line from Hoosiers that goes something like this:

"I got me a suit. A real humdinger. It's the suit I was married in." - Shooter

1. I was playing Mike Tyson's Punchout, which is reason enough to be regularly posting on a blog. As I working my way towards Mike Tyson I couldn't help but think of the huge advantage Floyd Mayweather Jr. had in his recent fight. If that's supposed to be bad for boxing consider Bald Bull's 191-pound advantage on Lil Mac. How much of a fine would that prompt if there were a weigh in? How could Doc Louis even let that fight happen? Ultimately I just can't get that worked up about Mayweather.

These are the kind of things I need to be sending out into cyberspace (do people still say that?) from time-to-time. On top of that ROOMOZEN has been quiet of late. So I'll end this post by reworking a line from Hoosiers, "I don’t know if it’ll make a difference, but I figured it’s time I started writing again."

* That has to be one of the worst 2-1 stretches of football...ever.

No comments: