Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Sweet Surprise


Everytime I find myself staying outside of New England on business I always seem to forget that I won't be able to watch a majority of my favorite teams' games. So, I wasn't surprised to find the Wizards pregame show while flipping through the channels and cooking dinner. Naturally, I kept flipping hoping to be saved by a Law and Order rerun or a Family Guy mini marathon, but to my surprise...The Celtics-Pacers game is being televised nationally on ESPN.

Now, you can't compare Mike Gorman and Tommy Heinsohn's broadcast of Celts games with any other broadcast duo out there. Sure I am victim of some Homerism, but I just love those guys. I don't even care who is doing the broadcast tonight, in fact I could barely here them over the fan I was using to ventilitate my burnt-bacon smoke and I could care less. It s just a little taste of home and it is outstanding.

A couple of thoughts on the Celtics as we near the playoff run:

-When all the trades were made this past offseason it seemed, for the most part that the Celtics were "giving up the future" by unloading a lot of young players. But now, if you look at the way that Perkins, Powe, Rondo, Davis, and Allen (Tony) have developed over this season under the wings of those great veterans, I dont think that claim holds water. The young guys on the roster now are not only learing to play the game from some of the NBAs best players (arguably three of the best in the last 15 years in Pierce, Garnett, and Allen), they are learing to win, and doing it all in an environment where they do not bear the brunt of the pressure night in and night out. When you throw in the way that Ainge arranged the contract exirations of the big three (staggered to expire in 3 different seasons) these guys will be able to step up and fill in OR they will be well enough developed to be good trade material. Just as importantly to their value on the open market is that they will not have been "exposed" due to their mainly secondary roles on the team.

-I like the Glen Davis mohawk, I think KG would be really badass with a mohawk, and hope to see him come out with one for the playoffs.

-Am I the only one to not notice that PJ Brown is wearing number 93? Very peculiar...but hey, the guy is playing great for us.

-Jim O'Brien looks so much like a leprachaun, I can't get over it.



Push by The Cure...Sick.

No comments: