Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Final Countdown...

Well, LaRocque adequately summed up the intense boredom that I think we all have been experiencing this past week. As I sit here today, I am finally beginning to feel the excitement for this game creep back into my body. It is as if I am slowly awakening from a media induced coma. Seriously, last week dragged on like no other week in my life. I was exhausted everyday, by the time I had limped to thursday I barely had any energy left to play in my men's league hoops game. Maybe I am just getting old, but I don't remember going through any of this in previous years. Anyway, I am approximately 24 hours away from my first chicken wing and I feel alive again.
The more I think about this game the more confident I am that the Patriots will be victorious. LaRocque asked me earlier this week to compare the 2007-2008 Giants to previous Patriots teams: "which Patriots team do you see the Giants as being most like. Let me give you three options. Feel free to add another option if none of these fit A) The 1985 Pats, excited to be there, but just waiting to get their asses kicked, B) the 2001 Patriots, something started clicking at the right time and they just seem to have the right mix of things happening right now (the 06 Steelers also fit here), or C) The 2001 Patriots who caught the magic in the wrong year, meaning that the Giants are playing well enough to win in most years, but this is the wrong year to get that momentum because nobody is beating the Patriots."

I've given this a good amount of thought and I have come to the conclusion that the Giants are probably most like option C, but will end up being remembered as option A. The Giants have had a great run, and this kind of momentum in a playoff setting is usually a recipe for a championship but this year belongs to the Patriots. Now, some might say that the 2001 Rams were just as dominant (number 1 in Offense and Defense) as the Patriots are this year and therfore an upset is definitely possible. The Rams were a great team, but even still, they are nothing compared to the Patriots. If Eli and the G Men were taking the field against Indy, Jacksonville, or "Whale's Vagina", I would really believe that they could pull of a win. Also, people forget just how ugly Kurt Warner's wife is. I have to believe that this had something to do with their loss.

(Note: I just saw the sportscenter commercial where Eli and Peyton are getting a tour through the Sportscenter offices and are messing with each other the way that brothers do. I hope we do get to see an Eli-Peyton Superbowl at somepoint, that would just be good television. For this to hapen however, I think that Tom Brady would have to retire to pursue a career in Cologne modeling)
The Giants are, more or less, waiting around to get their asses kicked. I think that their wild emotional ride is about to come to a screetching halt on Sunday. Now if the Giants have a good year next year and make it back to the Superbowl, they have a better chance of being remembered as option C, but if they lose early in the playoffs or even worse, don't make the playoffs than they are doomed to be forever known as "team who lost last to the 2008 Patriots"...This season will still be remembered as a successful one for them, and it should be...Why should "Whale's Vagina", Miami, Buffalo and the Jets get to be the only teams with the honor of losing to the Pats twice this year? Well, they won't be. I don't think this game will be all that close...I hope it is a competitive game, but I think that New England is going to pull away, cover the spread, and hoist the trophy.
Richard Seymour preparing to shit all over the Giants' offense
Final Score: 35-17 Pats. I see your "Enter Sandman" and raise you a "For Whom The Bell Tolls" (It tolls for the Giants, if you're scoring at home...)

1 comment:

Babcock said...

I couldn't have been more wrong...opening mouth...inserting foot.