Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Hey, Old Man


What's up fellas,

I just read the Babcock report about last week and I have to echo his sentiments. With everything about the Superbowl debacle and football being over, the sun not shining (figuratively and literally), me fighting the flu, I also swore of sports for a week because I just couldn't deal with all of the fall out from the game. No sports page, no sports radio, no ESPN in any capacity, no games of any kind (except for the Celts on Friday night), and as a result no Room of Zen. Now last week was pretty bad for a variety of reasons, but lemme tell you gents, the world is a dark, dreary and dull place without the wide world of sports. I've had to brush up on my political knowledge to fill up the time that I would usually spend on sports related topics, which I guess isn't necessarily a bad thing, but there is only so much of that shit I can take. Not being able to read the sports page in the shitter really threw off my rythm, not watching Sportscenter was a bit of a challenge because there really ain't shit else to watch, and I would have liked to have watched more of the Celtics. What I really took away from last week is that the ebb and flow the of the sports world is a large part of mine. Yeah the Pats loosing sucked, but looking back, a week without sports was a much more down trodden experience and it totally added to my Superbowl hangover, probably more than listening to everyone dump the Pats all week. I guess its the whole you can't appreciate what you've got 'till its gone thing, but its really true. I really appreciate being able to check out whats new with ESPN.com and Bill Simmons, I appreciate watching highlights on Sportscenter, and I appreciate reading the sports page when I drop a load, and I even appreciate the pain from loosing the Superbowl in a weird way, because it's all part of the sporting experience and being a fan. It's funny how something like sports can have such a overreaching impact on people, but I think that speaks volumes to how important and interwoven sports have become, and how truly fun it is to be a fan. Whether its the escape aspect, running the emotional gauntlet, or just feeling involved in something bigger, I really appreciate having sports in my existence. I don't appreciate Michael Strahan.

Just saying,
Stratton

1 comment:

Babcock said...

stratton is very very zen.