Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Just saw the Sports-Center highlight reel of the Wizards-Hornets game. All I can say is that game looked awesome and I’m mad I missed it. Some notes on this game:

* Two three pointers at the third and fourth quarter buzzers; what are the odds of that happening?

* DeShawn Stevenson pulling an Arenas “undertaker” and scoring a season high 33 points (for the non-Wizards fans out there: Arenas has a pretty good reputation of hitting game winning threes. I can remember him doing this at least three times over the past few seasons). From the USA Today article:

"(The shot) felt good coming out of my hands," Stevenson said. "I was shooting it pretty good all night. Some went in, some went out, but I was happy that one went in."

Even better: Deshawn has not shaved his beard and is having a career season with Gilbert out of the lineup. Although Deshawn takes a lot of dumb shots, his game is much improved under Eddy Jordan and when his three is on fire, he’s one of the best backup guards in the league (I think he made 9 threes in one game earlier this year). I know that’s not too impressive, but as you’ll see this weekend when I come out with my Wizards State of the Union post, his play has been pivotal for the team this year.

* The Wizards beat one of the best teams in the Western Conference without Butler or Arenas. They also won on the road which makes this victory even sweeter.

* The Wizards breaking through their recent 10 game slump. Hopefully this is a sign the team is on the mend. The good news is that their schedule gets easier in the next two months and they’ll be healthy and fully staffed by the playoffs. If the team maintains a .500 record until Butler and Arenas get back, we’ll make a final push for the 6th or 5th spot when they’re back. Assuming this happens, we’ll have some momentum and healthy players for the playoffs. I am very excited about this possibility. Stay tuned.

No comments: