Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A Third Party Reflection

If I had to choose the two teams that I would LEAST like to be in the superbowl before the start of the season I would invariably have chosen the Patriots and the Giants. I found myself, really for the first time ever, unable to root, even a little bit for either team. This is not say that I was indifferent to the games outcome, quite to the contrary, I passionately wanted both teams to lose. Obviously, this is virtually impossible barring a freak tremor that would cause the earth to open up directly below the University of Phoenix football stadium and swallow both teams down into the fiery bowels of the earth.

Well on the other hand the good thing about wishing losses on both teams is that you are guaranteed to be at least halfway satisfied, and it was a beautiful sight to watch the 4th quarter comeback allude Tom Brady and the Patrits for the firt time in four appearances. Nonetheless, there is that part of me that can't beleive that it did come at the hands of Eli Manning. Yes, the same Eli Manning that through a hissy fit when he was drafted by the Charges. The same Eli Manning who spent his first three seasons being flattened by the Eagles defensive line. But now here he is, a superbowl champion while the Eagles have only gotten further and further away each year since their superbowl loss to the Patriots. When the giants traded for Manning four years ago, I would never have believed he would have a super bowl ring before Donavan Mcnabb, but as it stands now Manning and the Giants have gotten the last laugh, and as an Eagles fan, it doesn't feel good.

2 comments:

Nick L. said...

Gilby returns! An epic moment in our history.

Nick L. said...

Now, we have heard from Babcock, the fan of the losing team....Gilby, the enemy of both teams....The only thing left is for me to post. But, I have to wait a few more days. It was hard for me to write anything after the Green Bay win. I still can't articulate what Sunday night meant. Perhaps Friday evening.