Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Oracle Speaks: Day of Days




In this weeks edition of The Oracle Speaks John R. writes:



Dudes - Couple quick thoughts.- This site is great, keeps me entertained throughout the week and is good for about one awkward out loud laugh at the office a day.


- Isnt is a little ironic (dont you think) that the giants and the pats wind up playing in the superbowl with this site being centered around the NFL?

- Traveling Riverside Blues video is outstanding

- LaRocque - You talk about how the NFL dominates your thoughts throughout the week - thought it might be interesting to hear a little insight as to how this stacks up against your thoughts during playing days


- Babcock - Farrell has been in touch with me about an indoor football league starting in a few weeks and needs a couple guys, any interest? Good shit on this site guys, Im impressed. Enjoy the holiday weekend.



John, you should know that the "awkward out loud laugh at the office" is what we are all about here, so to hear you mention this in your email gives us great pleasure. Now to answer your questions:

-On the surface, it does seem strange that the very year that this site is created the Patriots go on a remarkable 18-0 run and the Giants defy all skeptics to reach the SuperBowl...but, the Oracle works in mysterious ways. I'm not saying that we had anything to do with this, but thats what Im saying. It certainly has been good for business, I am sure that there were a lot of Cincinnati Bengals blogs that started up this year and totally fizzled out by week 5. We have been blessed by good fortune for sure. This past week has been a painful reminder of what life is like without NFL games. We are preprared to enter a new phase of roomofzen starting tomorrow, it is not ideal, but in order to survive we must adapt and evolve. While the NFL has been the centerpiece of this blog from the start we consider ourselves rennaisance men, and so we welcome the challenge of branching out. Keep in mind we have the NFL draft coming up in only two months, and certainly some sort of "Draft Day" reminiscing will be in order...but now I'm getting ahead of myself...the bottom line is that you can all thank roomofzen for providing you with the Patriots-Giants Superbowl.



-Travelling Riverside blues is such a great Zeppelin song...I never understood how it never made it onto an album (You can find it on the Live at The BBC album, but not on one of their regular studio albums, this is worth purchasing) considering that most of their material (particularly their early stuff) happened to be ripped off of other artists. I still consider Led Zeppelin one of the greatest and most influential rock bands of all time, plagiarism considered, and think would have still been legendary if they had just credited the actual musicians and song writers for their work. They may have played other peoples music and pawned it off as their own on occasion but they played the fucking shit out of it in a way that no other collection of musicians could ever hope to do.


John Bonham:Greatest Drummer Ever.

-From LaRocque: "Well, certainly in high school, I felt like the team I played for took precedence over everything and obviously every game seems like the Super Bowl. These are the games that dominated my thoughts then. I was pumped when the Giants were in the Super Bowl my senior year, but I never would have traded one of my high school wins for the Giants to win that Super Bowl. But, you can never really replicate those days. My days in college saw me concentrating my efforts on many other things. You might say 'my vision became very blurred'. The Giants occupied my thoughts in a similar fashion in these days. As for my days in the NFL, glorious as they may have been, I always felt dissilusioned with the spectacle that the game I once loved so much in high school had become."



-I am always interested in any manifestation of football including, but not limited to: Madden, flag football, watching football, paper football, talking about football, and of course that old school electonic football game where the table vibrates and little plastic dudes wobble around until one that has a felt football stuck to his arm gets into the endzone, or his progress is stopped. SO I just need some info...I play in a basketball league on Thursday nights. I understand that answering this question could have been done in private, but we haven't been getting a lot of questions for the Oracle lately and I want to get all of the mileage I can out of this one.



Thanks for checking in with us and enjoy the Game.

1 comment:

Babcock said...

I cant figure out what the fuck is going on with the spacing here, Im sure it has something to do with my reckless use of the cut and paste, all apologies...