Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Greatest Concert Ever...


...In Newburyport, Massachusetts.


Usually when I go to the grocery store it is to pick up turkey, maybe some cherries, and to check out hot moms. Generally, it is not where my mind is blown. But my mind was blown when exiting the Market Basket in Newburyport last week I noticed a flyer for a concert at Newburyport High School on August 15th. The musical act: Steve Earle.


I have been a fan of Steve Earle since I heard my first SE song. Furthermore I have been scouring the internet for concert dates nearby so that I could get to one of his shows for the past several months. I have looked online everytime that I have to travel out of town for work, thinking that maybe just one time I would be in the right place at the right time. At least, I thought, at some point he will be in the Boston area. Eventually, I gave up.


But, there it was on the flyer. Steve Earle: Live at the Newburyport High School Theatre. I couldn't help but laugh. I immediately went home and bought tickets. (You can get them here if you're interested).







For those of you who don't know, Newburyport is not exactly a typical stop on an East Coast tour for a well known and critically acclaimed musical act. To the best of my knowledge the "biggest" band to have played here was Nickelcreek, who played at the annual Yankee Homecoming Festival a few years ago. Also, once a few of my friends told me that The Kinks were playing downtown for some reason and I believed them for a few days. The Kinks have never played a concert in Newburyport, and never will.


Anyway, I am fucking pumped and will have a full concert review for you all following the show. For now, suck on this:


No comments: