Wednesday, July 16, 2008

There's No Way to Really Prepare Yourself



James Posey earned this pay day. Although it's going to sting for some time, this is probably the best thing for the Celtics in the long run. In the end, we just have to absorb it and keep moving. We knew this was a possibility. Nobody was misled and there was certainly no betrayal on either side. Sometimes things seem so right to us as fans that we have a hard time getting our heads around a player's perspective. And this is not, by any means, the death of our hopes for repeating. This team still has outstanding superstars and a very young and talented supporting cast. They are perfectly capable of repeating with this team. I would have loved to have James Posey back, and the sinking feeling that I felt tonight will probably be there for some time. But, at the same time, I am happy for him and I am especially grateful that Danny Ainge brought him on board this year.

As a side note: I loved watching the Hornets whenever I could last season. The addition of Posey might make getting the league pass necessary so that I can watch them play more often.

And, if you really need to feel better, read about why Hollinger doesn't like this move for New Orleans.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that he's not going to the Cavs or Lakers, and the Hornets will be fun to watch next year. I'm not really surprised, I think it wouldn't have been prudent for the Celts to resign him for that long a contract. Good for him, he played well and got a good contract... and its not like he's going to the Grizzlies, this is a team with a shot to win a Championship. I am disappointed, but I think with some smart free agent signings the Celts can replace his shooting, defense and toughness, albeit probably not with one player.

Anonymous said...

This is exaclty like Johnny Damon after 2004. We wanted him back for two years, but there was another team out there that was willing to up the offer to 4 at bigger money. The Red Sox were proven right with Damon, who is a walking injury, and the C's will be proven right with Posey, who isn't worth THAT much and will start to break down by the end of the deal. It would have been nice to see him back in green, but we have to make good financial decisions as a team...

Nick L. said...

I agree with both of you. One think I really appreciate is that you would have never known Posey was a one year rental. He knew that given the talent we were paying for (PP, KG, and Ray) that if he had a really good year he'd probably be going somewhere else for more money. But, you would have never known it. The way he carried himself and the energy he showed, you would have thought that he had been with the Celtics for much longer.

I realize Damon was with Boston for longer, but both of these guys really embraced the city's sports culture while they were here.

Also, I really wish that more of an effort was made with Tony Allen. I think that with more PT and that knee fully healthy he could have been the guy to replace Posey's solid 1-on-1 defense. He's certainly not the answer in terms of the shooting though.