Thursday, July 24, 2008

Roomofzen Deportes: Rafa vs. Martin O'Neil

I have to be honest and say when Liverpool first hired Rafa Benitez in the summer of 2004, I did not know too much about him. Sure I knew he had done well with Valencia, but I was skeptical of a Spanish manager coming to Liverpool and doing a good job. Boy was I wrong! At the time I was sure Liverpool would hire Martin O'Neill whose reputation was immense and had done incredible things at Celtic. Surely a manager who had experience in the UK would be better.

I think Liverpool got the appointment right with Rafa, not to say Martin O'Neill would not have done a good job, but I don't think he would have won the Champions League in his first season. The two managers, who I respect a lot, are now involved in a transfer saga. Gareth Barry wants to move to Liverpool, however, Aston Villa are asking too much in a transfer fee, 18 million pounds. I can understand Villa wanting to make a generous profit, but since they know Barry wants to move to Liverpool they feel they can ask more then usual. Here is Liverpool's best players reacting to hearing he might Gareth is coming to Liverpool:


Liverpool are going in the right direction, however, they have a strong nucleus of Spanish players and will only compete for more trophies if they add some veteran premier leaguers in Gareth Barry and Robbie Keane. That would put them over the edge and allow them to win what every fan waiting for: The English Premier League Championship. I will leave you with a funny video of Liverpool players protesting a game being canceled because of the weather by using the authority responsible as target practice:

No comments: