Friday, May 1, 2009

Game 6: Some Quick Thoughts



The Internet trouble with the move is persisting, and I regret that it has both delayed and limited our capacity to react to last night. But, I have to say some things:

- First off, before we get in to any of the "what a great game" chatter, let's just get it out there that the Celtics blew this one in the final minutes. They had the momentum, they had the lead, and they couldn't score any buckets. The offense was pathetic down the stretch. But, the silver lining here is that we get to do it all over again tomorrow.


- I don't know if I've ever watched a game quite like last night's, at least not with my emotions weighing so heavily in the balance. Sure, there have been close games and long games. In fact, there are other games in this series that rivaled last night. But, there was something different about game 6. I can't ever remember feeling emotions like this in a first round game. After Paul Pierce committed his sixth foul, he keeled over as if he had just drawn his last mortal breath. It had been an off night for Pierce, and no matter how hard he worked to try and will things to go his way in the overtimes (and he was working, you could see it), it just wasn't meant to be on this night. He looked more human than I can ever remember as he went to the bench, contending with the stitches inside of his nose that will serve as a painful reminder of a night I'm sure he'd like to forget. The same went for Big Baby, who was on the verge of tears as he exited this one. These men are hardened superstars. They are arrogant millionaires. They have become totally desensitized to the pressure and the emotions. They are supposed to block it out. But last night stretched these guys further than they ever thought, and it showed. Even the hardest of the hard couldn't escape this one unscathed.

- With a game like this, it feels almost foolish to talk about actual strategy, but I have to. First, I have to wonder why Ray Allen didn't get the last shot in regulation. My love for Paul Pierce is great, and definitely pushes the boundaries of heterosexuality, but he was off last night. He was stitched up, a little wobbly, tired, and he was looking for whistles. Ray, on the other hand, couldn't miss. You go with the hot hand, particularly when he's one of the greatest shooters in the history of the league.

- I'm changing my Tony Allen stance. While I've always been a proponent of bringing him in to guard the other team's best scorer, I'm beginning to wonder if the price on the offensive end is too great. The Bulls completely play off of him and really disrupt Boston's offensive rhythm. He also took two shots in crunch time last night (he should not EVER shoot, unless he's being fed an alleyoop). He's sloppy with the ball. Offensively, he's a wrench in the gears. Things appear much more disjointed when he's on the floor. Marbury, despite all the heat he's been taking, has actually been playing some pretty serious D in this series. He might be a better option.

- While I currently cannot think about this Bulls roster without getting incredibly upset, I have to respect them. Derrick Rose's block at the end of overtime 3 last night was an incredible play (and one that not many would have been able to make at that point in the game). I've always loved Hinrich (there's nothing quite as badass as a lockdown defender). Joakim Noah, I may never like, but he is good at what he does and he has grown leaps and bounds this year. His motor never stops, and all of his effort paid HUGE dividends as he came up with the most clutch play of the game. Because I'm a UCONN fan, I've always known what Ben Gordon could do offensively (the guy's a freak, he could squat 600 pounds in college). He has always been a lazy defender though, and I'm glad that hasn't changed. A guy as fast and strong as him shouldn't be stopped cold at every pick. Vinny Del Negro is not a good coach. I realize that doesn't fit with the theme of this paragraph, but it is what it is.

- All that said, there is nothing more frustrating than thinking about what would have been with a healthy Celtics front line. Mikki Moore should never have to play, and Big Baby and Scal should be coming in after KG and Leon. Tommy said it best last night "people are all over the bench...the reason the bench isn't producing is that the bench guys are all starting!"

- Speaking of Tommy, he was great last night. I can't imagine what people would be saying if his broadcast were a national one. He said many incredibly biased things, but perhaps none were as great as (as the crowd is chanting "rondo sucks"): "They're turning this kid into a villain, and it's all because of that slimy Brad Miller!". Just great stuff.

No comments: