Monday, May 4, 2009

Great post from Shutdown Corner



This is a really thought provoking piece from MJD. Like everyone else, I thought it was absurd when I heard that Matthew Stafford will make more this year than Tom Brady. It is absurd, but MJD makes a point that is simple and yet profoud all at once: the veteran players have their contracts already signed. The extra money saved from paying rookies less would not go to these veterans, it would simply stay in the pocket of the owners. When I think of it like that, I don't really care how much Matthew Stafford makes. Sure, there are some owners who could do great things to improve their stadiums and fan experiences, but I bet most of them wouldn't.


Again, I realize that this seems obvious, and I hope you don't feel like you just wasted 15 seconds of your life. But, it's true, we all talk about it as if paying Stafford less would result in more going to Brady or Manning. It wouldn't. It would just mean more money in the pockets of the owners who had the number 1 pick (which means they probably haven't been doing a very good job in the first place).

No comments: