Thursday, May 14, 2009

What Really Grinds My Gears

In honor of Peter Griffin, I would like to share what really grinds my gears…

-Brad Childress. What a smug asshole. I have always hated him because he acts like he’s smarter than everyone even though he is 16 games away from getting fired and has never won a playoff game. The Garrett Mills situation seemed like a move to just stick it to the Pats and now this: http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/27/childress-brags-about-plucking-percy-from-the-pats/ The PFT guys sum it up perfectly in that brief article. He is such an ass and I am now rooting for Percy Harvin to finish his career with 1 catch for -3 yards and 35 drops. Brad: you are acting like you have out done the top organization in football and the coach who beat you 31-7 in your only matchup. In that matchup, you were so badly outcoached that you didn’t know what hit you (this was the game that the Pats came out and threw the ball about 35 straight times to open the game to avoid the top run D in theLeague. BRILLIANT game plan).

-Peter King. Somewhat related to the Childress situation is the rumor that King spread about the Pats trying to move into the top 10. I cannot stand Peter King. He breaks about 3 of these fake stories a week, never breaks any meaningful news, and everyone treats him like he’s the second coming of Will McDonough. He needs to be called out when he makes up news like this, when the Pats were clearly looking to (and did) trade out of the 1st round. I listen to him on Sirius Radio once in a while and his command of the X’sand O’s are even worse. But the worst part about King is how big of a name dropper he is. He’ll say things like “I just got off the phone with Peyton Manning and he thought he had nice rhythm in the passing game” and it is 20 minutes after the game ended. Yeah, Peter, I’m sure that the first call anNFL player makes after a game is to you. He actually took credit for convincing Brandon Marshall that it would be cool to break out the black glove (a la the 1968 Olympics) after scoring the winning TD against the Browns last year. Sure, Peter, we all believe you. On a side note, SiriusNFL radio is awesome and they cover the game more thoroughly than any other source.

-Chris Berman. Alright, we get it, Chris, you are very clever. It would have taken me ages to come up with Albert “Winnie The” Pujols or Ben“Winter” Coates, but please stop the fucking nickname thing. He is such a blowhard. On a side note, I wish Berman could use inappropriate nicknames like Todd “Two in the” Pinkston “One in the Stinkston.”

-Three Point Distractions. Remember the technical that Eddie House got in the Bulls series for yelling at the Bulls Bench? It was because while teeing up a three-pointer next to their bench, the whole bench was on its feet and yelling in his ear from about a foot away. And Eddie gets the T for yelling back. I hate this new development in the NBA so much that it makes me want to kill a kitten. This isn’t a pickup game; these guys are professionals and they need to act like it on the bench. I am dumbfounded at the fact that the NBA hasn’t done anything about this.

-The NBA Refs. Speaking of the NBA not fixing problems, the refs are so miserable that I can’t stand to watch some nights. There is no consistencyto what they do and the only solution is a complete overhaul of the officiating. David Stern has uncharacteristically been a coward on this topic since the gambling scandal.

-Joba Chamberlain. Stop yelling and screaming at hitters when you notch meaningless strikeouts, Joba. I was watching the last Sox/Yanks series and he yelled and screamed after striking out Mike Lowell when the Yanks were losing 4-3 in about the 5th inning. I loved when Aubrey Huff yelled back after homering off him the other night. At least Joba’s mother isn’t adrug dealer…http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/2009/05/joba_chamberlains_mother_jacqu.html

-The Steroids Situation. I noticed that Nick loved the Simmons article, but I have to disagree with this majority opinion on steroids. Why is it such a crime against humanity when we find out anything negative about our favorite athlete? People need to stop acting like innocent little children about this stuff. Pro athletes are human and just like the rest of us,they have every negative quality that a human can have. There have been murderers, rapists, racists, wife beaters and everything else in pro sports. When it comes to cheating (in any way) to get a competitive edge I think people would be shocked to find that most athletes that stand to make millions of dollars from their performance have probably cheated in some form over their careers. If you think the actions of athletes will make your kids cheat and take steroids, then you are the problem and need to raise your kids better. If your kid acts like Simmons’ little wise-ass in the article, then you hand him a beer and tell him to shut up. I have never at any part of my life wanted to “be like” any pro athlete for anything other than what happens between the lines. This is entertainment, so watch the games and enjoy what you see. Trying to figure out who did what and which stats are legit is a practice in futility.

4 comments:

Nick L. said...

Casten, I appreciate you bringing this up because I meant to revise my opinion. I don't actually agree with simmons that the '04 world series is tainted in any way. And, I don't really give a shit or care that players took sterroids because I think the league created an environment where people had to do it.

But, I loved the parts where simmons was quoting his dad saying things like "I'd do it all over again in a second!" and stuff like that. So, I thought the humor was awesome. But, I don't agree with the actual serious message.


Who gives a fuck who is in or not in the goddamn baseball hall of fame. Fuck the baseball hall of fame. There, I said it.

Nick L. said...

Some day there will be a network (it will cost money) where todd pinkston will always be called one in the pinkston two in the stinkston and announcers will react to NBA calls by saying "that's fucking bullshit".

I know people say the world can't be perfect, but I really believe in this vision.

Casten said...

I love the idea for that network and I just pray that Bob Uecker is alive to see that day. I heard Norm McDonald on the Howard Stern Show last week and he was saying that he was in the booth with Uecker and he has the dirtiest mouths on the planet. I wish I could find a transcript to that interview because Norm told some great stories.

Nick L. said...

They may have it on youtube. I really liked Stern's interview with Russell Brand, and I found it in three parts on youtube and put it up here (it was just audio with a picture).