Monday, May 19, 2008

Fire Up the Bandwagon

As a lifelong Wizards / Bullets fan, I probably shouldn't be writing this, but in all fairness to the Celtics and this blog, I feel obligated to share my thoughts on the Celtics and their monumental victory.

It's now official: I'm joining the Celtics' bandwagon. Fire that mother up, Boston, and bring the title back to Beantown. Deny the Pistons and rain on Kobe's parade. Bring some pride back to the Eastern Conference and let KG retire with his title. Better yet, let KG do another Gatorade commercial with the title in his hands. Here is my reasoning:

- I love KG. I've been a fan of his since he joined the league out of high school as the first guy to so in 20 years at the time. I remember when people criticized him for this decision and I remember thinking: if you had a lottery ticket worth 20-100 million dollars (being 7 feet, a nasty shooter, athletic, ect.) why the hell would you risk wasting it (go to college, risk an injury)?

Along with Kobe, Garnett paved the way for guys like James so I give him a lot of respect for being so balsy and backing up his decision with solid game. You can always make the argument that he's too unselfish, but I'll take that quality over a ball-hog any day of the week. I will also take his passion and defense any day of the week since those qualities lacking in players these days. I also love how he talks to himself on defense like a madman, obviously freaking out everyone around him.

KG = awesome.

- I respect Paul Pierce. As a divisional rival to the Celts (Wizards fan), I got to see him play at least three times a year. Every time we played the Celts, no matter how bad they were record wise, I had to worry about Pierce beating us, or at least putting his team in a position to win. While everyone on the RoomofZen is correct to point out that he doesn't get a lot of national hype, I was always worried about Pierce and I always respected his game. Simply put, he is a gamer and he actually reminds me of Antawn Jamison a lot (awkward shots, deceptively quick drives to the rim, solid three, leader of his team).

Pierce's consistency, despite being on a bad team, is another reason why I like him. He always gave his best no matter how bad the Celtics were (and I can promise you they sucked last year and the year before), I like that leadership in him. I think of Pierce as a personification of the Celtics and he's stuck with them through thick and through thin. Now that persistence is paying off, and he's leading them to victory after all those years of toil. So I give him credit for sticking in there, like KG did in Minnesota. Solid guys. No shitty tattoos, either.

- I hate Lebron since he beat the Wizards three years in a row. The Celts dispatched him so now they are badasses. Here is a short list on why I really don't like him, despite how nasty he is on the court:

1. He wears Yankees hats to Indian games. Common dude, have some common sense. That's just plain stupid and insults your fans no matter what you say.
2. He grew up in Ohio yet loves the Yankees and Cowboys. He wasn't old enough to remember America's Teams in the 90s, so why does he still like them? Strike two.
3. He's clearly ditching the Cavs for NYC despite their moves to placate him. Traitor.
4. He talks in the third person. Jordan never did that.
5. He takes shots at his teamates far too often. Just listen to him post-game...he skewers his team, the coach, and the GM with regularity.

- Ray Allen deserves a title, along with KG and Brown. All of them have put in their time and now they should be rewarded for their hard work. Of course you can say that about a lot of guys, but KG and Allen really deserve some icing on their stellar careers.

I guess it's weird supporting a Boston team since I hate the Pats and the Red Sox. But the Celts have a terrific combination of grizzled veterans vying for a title and the fountain of youth helping them out along the way (Rondo and House).

Let's hope the Celts can pick one up on the road and catch the Pistons sleeping. All it takes is one bad game and the Celts can close it in 6.

1 comment:

Nick L. said...

Welcome aboard sir. You won't be dissapointed.