Friday, May 16, 2008

Foil in the Oven: Ready for Game 6



Before we get to the important stuff, I want to make one final point about the media coverage of Spygate. Again, remember that I'm a Giants fan, and I don't say this stuff to defend the Patriots. I say it simply as an NFL fan that is trying to look at things objectively. Objectivity has been the main thing missing from ESPN's coverage this week, and it has become apparent that the network has a clear agenda with this issue. Mark Schlereth has been one of the crusaders leading the charge for ESPN. However, this profootballtalk article links us to this Washington Post article that pretty clearly outlines the penalties assessed to the Denver Broncos because of cheating ("circumventing the salary cap") that went on between the 1996 and 1998 seasons, when Schlereth was a member of the team. Remember, the Broncos won two Super Bowls during that time (97 and 98 seasons).


The organization was punished harshly by the league. Like the Patriots, they were forced to pay heavy fines and surrender draft picks. Schlereth would have you believe that this situation was totally different than Spygate, and it was. The Washington Post article names two specific players that the deferred payments went to, Terrell Davis and John Elway. So, instead of cheating by having a third camera on the field, the Broncos cheated by having a guy that rushed for over 2000 yards in a season and a Hall of Fame quarterback, both of whom won Super Bowl MVPs. Please, think about this the next time you see Mark Schlereth waxing poetic about keeping the integrity of the game intact and questioning the legacies of dynasties and whatever else he needs to say to push ESPN's agenda to completely sensationalize this issue. It makes it nearly impossible to take him seriously.



I'm not trying to put the microscope on those Broncos teams (not that I feel bad, Schlereth brought that upon himself) or suggest that their legacy is tarnished. Like the Patriots, they have already been punished. What I am trying to do is to show you that teams have been caught and punished for cheating throughout the existence of the NFL. That's why we have a commissioner and a league office. They handle these matters. The Patriots cheated. It is no different than when the Broncos cheated. It's no different than, as Casten said yesterday, the 49ers cheating by not following proper procedures in acquiring Lance Briggs. No law was broken here, just a league rule. A congressional investigation of this matter would completely undermine the NFL's administrative system. When NFL teams cheat, they are punished by the league. They are not investigated by Congress.


Finally, a propaganda tid-bit from NFL Live last night:

Trey Wingo offers up this quote from Ted Kennedy:

"With the war in Iraq raging on, gasoline prices closing in on $4 a gallon, and Americans losing their homes at record rates to foreclosure, the United States Senate should be focusing on the real problems that Americans are struggling with. I’m looking forward to another great Patriots season where they can let their play on the field speak for itself."

Wingo then says "of course.....Ted Kennedy, the senator from....." and they (including Schlereth) say out loud in unison "Massachusetts" and laugh as if they can't take these comments seriously because they are obviously biased and absurd. Now, believe me when I say that I don't share this story to endorse Ted Kennedy in any way. But, can anyone really take issue with that quote? Can anyone really say that they think Congress should be worried about Spygate given everything that's happening? The fact that even those who completely loathe Ted Kennedy can't disagree with that quote tells you something about what Spector is trying to do here.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I'm going to go along with Babcock, and predict a big win in Cleveland tonight for the Celtics. There was a different swagger to this team on Wednesday night, and they reminded me of the Celtics from the regular season that I knew had what it takes to win a championship. Everything about the game they played in the second half tells me that Cleveland can't beat them. It wasn't just on the court either. The bench guys were up yelling, hanging out, and messing around like they always used to do. There was life to this team. There was energy. There was absolutely no remnants of the confused and lifeless team that played games 3 and 4 in Cleveland. If the Celtics carry that energy from game 5 into tonight, and play the way they did in that second half for the entire game, I don't see how the Cavs can beat them.


And, I'll just say it, I can't stand the way that LeBron was talking after Game 5. I know that we shouldn't hang on everything these guys say, and I really try not to. But, seriously. Think about all the greats: Jordan, Bird, Magic, Duncan, etc. Can you ever imagine one of them coming out after a big playoff loss and complimenting themselves for their individual performance? Can you ever imagine that? After they had come out strong in the first half and disappeared for an entire quarter in the second half (LeBron had 2 points in the third quarter). I can't help but think that there's something going on with the chemistry of that team. They will also be without Daniel Gibson the rest of the way, which rules out any chance of him repeating his heroics from last year's postseason.

It's just been too easy to predict so far. The home team winning in virtually every game. At some point, some team other than Detroit has to assert themselves and win a tough game on the road. I think that these Celtics do it tonight. I don't know why. I just have a feeling.

And, the best part is that if I'm wrong, they can just play again on Sunday.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of home court advantage, which still looms large after the Spurs waxed the Hornets in San Antonio last night, I came across this video of Shaq calling out Vlade Divac for comments he made about the Lakers not being able to win in Sacramento. It's hilarious.:


Also, here is Shaq on Jackass:


Shaq giving a great comeback to a reporter (why would the guy ask this question):


And, finally:


I think I speak for all of us when I say congratulations on being famous Nicole Richie. You've certainly earned it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

On spygate: I read on Profootballtalk.com that Walsh claimed to have been standing next to an opponent doing the same thing as him and alerted Crennnel to change the Pats' defensive signals. Here's the link: http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/05/15/walsh-talks-to-the-times-confirms-that-other-teams-cheat/

This is huge. I just want the average idiot (and there are more than you can imagine in Pittsburgh) to understand that this is a common practice in the NFL. For this reason, I have now changed my stance. I want a congressional probe and I can only pray to baby Jesus that it identifies a number of NFL teams (especially the Steelers). Even better, I hope Spector gets Hodgkins disease again and this thing goes away...

As for the Celts: This is the biggest game of the season. Hands down. Losing Daniel "I have the gayest nickname of all time" Gibson is huge because we can at least afford to sit Rondo a little more. It only took Doc 4 and a half games to figure out that we cannot matchup with their small lineup unless Rondo is in the game. Cassel had to get WORKED for 4 games before he realized it, and I was about to have a heart attack. We are licky that Mike Brown is just as stupid and didn't go small all series and give LeBron some actual shooters so he could drive-and-dish us to death. I just love when Ben Wallace is on the floor; he can't even defend anymore. To get off that tangent, we need to be aggressive on offense and it's just that simple. When we're aggressive, we win. When we settle for jumpers, we lose.

Nick L. said...

I don't doubt for a second that all the teams do this in some form. I just think that all the evidence will be gone if there's an investigation and there are no receipts and contact with people outside of organizations like there was with the sterroid thing.

The Steelers do suck. Especially Ben Roethlisberger. I'm going to say this again, I don't see why people are so sure that he's better than Eli Manning.

1) Manning actually led his team to a Super Bowl, where as Roethlisberger's team won one in spite of his poor play.

2) Manning has been to the playoffs every year and has a Super Bowl MVP.

3) (to Steelers fans) Don't talk to me about how incredible your offensive line is and then tell me that it plays no role in how successful Roethlisberger has been.

4) And this is the kicker for me: Whenever I point out that Manning has had all successful seasons and playoff appearances, I always get "well, Roethlisberger had that season with the motorcycle accident." THAT'S HIS FAULT. HE DOESN'T EVEN CARE ENOUGH ABOUT WINNING TO STAY OFF OF A MOTORCYCLE!

Clearly, I hate the Steelers almost as much as the Eagles.

Babcock said...

Larocque, I hate to break it to you but in year 9 of my Madden 2007 PS2 franchise Eli Manning is quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Nick L. said...

Similar thing on mine, except the Titans. Well man, for the record, if they predict Manning to be in Pittsburgh that means they predict him to fail in New York but they also predict Big Ben to fail in Pittsburgh.