Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Simmons: the Master of the Written Word

Ted just sent me this Bill Simmons article, and I have to say that perhaps no piece of writing has ever summed up my feelings after a game so accurately and thoroughly as this one. This is exactly how I felt for about 16 hours after that game finished.

I'd be interested to know how the players feel about Doc. All season long, they have seemed to love him. He does have a great personality. But, you have to wonder if they're growing frustrated as well. Here's the problem: if the Celtics don't make it to the NBA Finals, we're going to have to ask some serious questions about Doc. I say this not because they have been losing more games than expected, but because they seem like a totally different team. Now, if we fire Doc but all the players still love him, then we have trouble. Even if the guys don't want to let it affect their attitudes, it will. If we keep Doc for that reason, but Thibodeau moves on to a head coaching position, then how confident can you really be that these players aren't just coaching themselves.

I love Doc as a person. I think he's great at developing talent. I think he's a great evaluator of talent. I think he's great at fostering unity within a group of people. But, these playoffs, along with the 05 playoffs, have left me with serious doubts about his head coaching abilities. If we make it to the finals, then I'm willing to forget his questionable decisions. Next year, I expect he'll be dealing with a less cluttered roster and that he will have learned from his mistakes.

Hopefully, we will get back on track tonight and this will all be a moot point.

No comments: