Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Foil in the Oven: The Big Easy



I'm going to be really bummed out when this Hornets/Spurs series is over. Even once the Hornets had a commanding lead last night, I couldn't stop watching. Before we get into the game, I just want to know whose idea it was to make this split face ad with Tony Parker and Peja Stojakovic? This is hideous. Dwight Howard and Chauncey, not so bad. KG and Ben Wallace, not so bad. KG and LeBron, pretty good. Shaq and Kobe, awesome. Even Zohan and Baron Davis is better than this. Take a look and tell me that you don't agree:



Now.....if we can move on......

The fact that the Hornets took this game over in the second half is no surprise. This was typical of their wins over Dallas, and of their other two wins over San Antonio. Today's Daily Dime tells us that during this series, in the third quarter of games in New Orleans (all of which they've won), the Hornets have outscored the Spurs 93-46. The Spurs led at halftime, and found themselves on the wrong end of a 22-point finish.

I know you probably expect me to lead with Chris Paul because I talk about him all the time, but the biggest story of this game was David West. 38 points, 14 boards, and 5 blocks. He kept the Hornets in this game during the first half, and he helped them seal it up at the end. I said in a Foil in the Oven last week that David West had really impressed me during this postseason. I knew his stats were good, but throughout the regular season I always viewed him as more of a product of Chris Paul. He has been spectacular throughout the entire playoffs. Last night, he was the best player on the floor in the most important game that his team has played all year. If the Hornets had lost last night, there was no way they could take this series. Now, I like their chances.

Chris Paul and Tim Duncan both struggled mightily in the first half. The guys on TNT at the half (and I think it was Magic that said it specifically) made it clear that whichever team saw their superstar step up in the second half would win the game. As you probably know from the outcome, Chris Paul answered the bell. Paul only had one basket in the first half, but he totally controlled play in the second half. The key moment came at the 8 minute mark of the third quarter, when Paul hit a 3-pointer (a shot he doesn't normally take) to put the Hornets up 55-51. From there on out, we had vintage Chris Paul, as you can see from this Alleyoop to Tyson Chandler, which was named the TNT Dunk of the Night Brought to You by Indiana Jones. The Spurs fell back to their old ways on defense on this play. They collapsed on Paul, and allowed Chandler access to the rim. As you can see, all Chandler has to do is jump.

I also just want to state for the record, and so as not to upset any Hornets fans, that what I said yesterday about Chandler was not meant to insult his game. He is a very good defender, a strong rebounder, and an outstanding finisher. He was also all of these things in Chicago before he played with Chris Paul. I just don't think he's a scorer, which is why you have to keep him off the rim.

The one thing about this game that made me uncomfortable was the whole Joey Crawford thing during the first half. I just don't want to hear anymore about feuds between referees and players or teams anymore. I'm paranoid ever since the Donaghy thing. I can live with (and have throughout these playoffs) poor refereeing. But, anything like last night that might indicate some bias on the surface makes me uneasy. I am glad that the NBA was able to rebound so well from the Donaghy scandal. I don't think last night was a problem. But, I don't understand why Crawford had to be put at that game. Can't they put him somewhere else? Honestly, can't we anticipate a little bit to make sure that people aren't questioning whether or not the referees on the floor are being objective? Is this too much to ask?


I don't care what people say about bandwagon fans that come out during playoff time. I'm happy for these New Orleans fans. They've obviously been through a lot, and I think that this team is going to give them something to cheer about for a long time. I think it's also great to see what happened to the fans in Atlanta. Look, the more teams that are able to be successful, and the more fanbases that get a sniff of the playoff atmosphere, the more fun and exciting the NBA is going to be. I think basketball is going to be popular in New Orleans for a long time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Much like the Hornets last night, the Celtics find themselves with their backs to the wall tonight. While the series can't actually be won or lost in this game 5, I have no confidence that the Cs can win this series if they do not win tonight. I have a feeling that they will win, and that they will win pretty comfortably. However, it's hard to be too confident after having been let down so many times over the past couple of weeks.

No comments: