Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Babcock Report: Sick Air Guitar


Awesome. Sick. Sweet. Three words that collectively embody the mantra of roomofzen and most accurately describe my feelings surrounding game 5 (which I attended with Ladd) and game 6, which I watched on television. Rather than breaking down these two solid wins for the Celtics I am just going to run through a random assortment of observations. Basically, what I do every time.


First off, attending a playoff game was an even greater experience than I ever could have imagined. Sure the tickets were expensive and I forfeited an entire nights worth of sleep, but I will never forget that game and the experience of being among so many other Boston Celtics fans during a hard fought playoff win. Even though our seats were literally as far away from the court as it was humanly possible to sit (I spent much of the game leaning on the back wall, which is actually a very comfortable position to be in when you are prone to violent outbursts of enthusiastic fistpumps... I admit its my go-to celebration move) I couldn't have felt more involved in what was happening on the court. This goes down as one of my favorite sporting event memories of all time, right along with a California Angels game I attended in the early 90s in which Chili Davis hit 3 homeruns, and a Twins-Royals game I attended in 1996 in the metrodome in which my seat number got called over the PA and I won a roundtrip plane ticket to any where in the northern US. There were approximately 196 people at that game. All in all I would have to say that this is number one.


I predicted that Ray Allen was going to hit a huge shot in this series, and I was wrong. He hit two. In the same game. In game 5 he hit a three pointer to put the Celtics ahead 44-42 at 3:18 in the 2nd quarter. They never trailed after that point. His second huge shot put the Celtics up 3 at 1:22 in the 4th. Every time Allen hit a shot the place went nuts. I don't care what people say about Celtics fans and Boston sports fans in general but everyone was behind Allen despite his struggles at points in the playoffs. I'm sorry, I'm getting emotional now, lets move on to...




Leaving the game Ladd and I had the pleasure of watching two couples break up in front of us while we sat in traffic in the parking garage. Not that I take pleasure in watching other people fight but it just seemed to me that after watching such a great game that there wouldn't be any issues at all except deciding whether or not to make love in front of a DVRd version of the game or while listening to the recorded play-by-play of Cedric Maxwell and Sean Grande. One guy cried out "Have you lost all respect for me?!", the other guy had several neck tatoos, was smoking a butt, and walked as though he had a shin splint...all of which apparently made him the most badass man to ever walk around a parking garage without knowing where he had parked his car. People jockied for spaces and occasionally honked aimlessly. I guess I thought that was interesting for some reason. Sorry.

I guess what I am trying to say was that this was a great week for the people of New England. The weather last weekend was unbelievable, people were out at the lakes of Maine and the Beaches of New Hampshire. I played my first round of golf last night at Evergreen Country Club in Newburyport. Let me just say that this place is absolutely great. First, it cost us $17 dollars to play 18 holes with a cart. Granted, the course is in rough shape, but the atmosphere couldn't be more conducive to having a great time. Secondly, I honestly cannot remember the last time I played golf anywhere else where the scorecard reminded players that "shirts must be worn at all times". I'm pretty sure you could do almost anything short of strangling a prostitute out there and it would be cool.


Moving along, I still hate Jason Kidd. Finally, I feel redemption for our loss to the Nets during our last trip to the Eastern Conference Finals.



Lastly, keep checking in with the roomofzen store, I can personally guarantee you that there will be plenty of new merchandise coming out prior to the start of the NBA finals. That's right, you can be the first to own a brand new "Kobe Bryant Hotel Rewards Club" TShirt. Get one for the kids.

No comments: