Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Foil in the Oven: Shoot the Ball!


Today's Foil in the Oven is going to be very short because I have a job interview to get to.

Obviously this series will be going longer than I predicted. I'm certainly not surprised that it's going longer, but I still stick to my reasoning. This series may go 7 games now, and it just doesn't have to be that difficult. But, I guess that has been the overarching theme of this entire postseason.

The Celtics were completely out of sync all night long. It's hard to be upset today about the loss, because I can't believe they were in the game for so long. They shot 31.8 percent from the field, while allowing Detroit to shoot 51.4 percent. Everyone in the media, both local and national, keeps saying that the 19 point discrepancy was not indicative of how close the game was. This is true in the sense that the Pistons didn't really seal it until Billups' three pointer with 2:55 left. But, in my mind, that 19 point discrepancy is a very accurate indicator of how poorly the Celtics played.

The Celtics were completely pathetic on offense. In fact, their only real offense was shooting free throws. Now, I'm fine with an offense not getting going because of shots not falling, but the passing is what killed me here. There were so many possessions that started with wild, errant passes that looked like they were flying out of bounds until the intended target would leap up and save them. You know that those possessions are doomed from the start because whoever ends up with the ball is completely flustered and taken out of their rhythm.

And, even worse than the bad passing was the over-passing. Nobody was willing to assert themselves offensively last night, and it drove me insane. How many good looks did Rondo and Garnett pass up? How many times did a guy with a good scoring opportunity suddenly appear panic stricken and kick the ball back out with time running down on the shot clock? The one play that sticks out in my mind is Ray Allen driving to the hoop towards the end of the game, and suddenly zipping this pass off the midsection of an unsuspecting KG. Allen had a good scoring opportunity and KG was following to clean up a potential miss. But, for some reason, Allen squandered a good scoring opportunity by making an unnecessary pass. This was the story of the game in my mind. Right after Billups hit that three to put Detroit up 10, KG got the ball at the other end, and hit a perfect jump-hook over McDyss. I was furious "Why haven't you been doing that all night dickhead!" I screamed. Very rarely do I get so frustrated with KG. But, he had been passing those shots up all night. One of those three guys needed to assert themselves last night, and they passed up the opportunity over and over again.

Now, credit Detroit's defense for not allowing any easy scoring chances inside. They contested everything, but they also committed a lot of fouls. The officials were quick with their whistles last night, which was all the more reason to attack the basket. The way Detroit was playing, Sheed and McDyss may have been out of the game by the start of the fourth if the Celtics weren't so resigned to passing out of the paint.

Obviously this was a poor performance from Rondo. I really thought that Doc should have had Pierce starting the offense up top more often. That has proven to be the best way to get the offense back on track. But, there was probably nothing that could have salvaged last night's performance.



Again, 31.8 percent from the field for the Celtics. 51.4 percent for the Pistons. The Celtics had the deer in the headlights look to them on offense for the entire game, and literally the only mildly positive thing I can say about their performance is "they got to the free throw line a lot, but they could have been their more." They had twice as many turnovers as the Pistons (14-7). And yet, the Celtics were still in a position to win the game. Once Chauncey's 3 ended the hopes of a comeback, they Celtics allowed the gap to widen to something that was a little more indicative of how they played. But, they couldn't have played worse, and they could have won that game. They were only down 5 for much of the fourth quarter.

Game 5 has been a strong point for these Celtics so far in the playoffs. They need to come out strong on Wednesday night. If they do, they will win. Even if they don't, they could still win. But, let's hope they do.

I get the Tony Allen thing alright. I was wrong. When you haven't seen Tony play in a while, your mind tends to focus on his athletic abilities and all of his physical attributes that lend themselves so well to basketball. You forget that he has a very low basketball IQ.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe Kobe will score 60 points tonight. I need to watch something like that to clear my head after watching last night's game, which was sort of like watching dead cars being crushed in a scrapyard.



2 comments:

MFerrante said...

Your analysis has calmed me down a little bit. Just a horrendous showing. I'm not sure if I've ever criticized Garnett before, but I agree with your comments on him. No one on the Pistons can stop him, yet most of his shots are fall-aways (he shot one on Theo Ratliff... THEO RATLIFF!) and 18 footers. That is if he even gets the ball on the block (which he didnt for much of the game). I won't kick a dead horse here, but you are completely right... no one wanted to shoot. It was embarrassing how discombobulated they looked on offense.

Anyways, just one comment on the ESPN telecast. I can't stand this announcing crew. I counted three times when Mike Breen said "way off" on a shot that hit the rim and didn't appear to be way off. I dont know what that bothered me so much, but it did. Just give me the play by play, not ridiculous, errant adjectives. Also, when Rasheed went down with his 4th foul they didnt even mention it until 3-4 minutes later. They were busy talking about Stuckey or Maxiell, I can't remember which.

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, I think announcing should be about telling us what is going on in the game and less about telling me your opinion. Many of the fans watching are smart enough to form their own opinion and dont need someone telling them what to think. Yes, color guys are there to give their opinion, but tone it down a notch, will ya? You dont have to say something about every play. I couldn't handle it last night, I ended up just turning the volume down low enough so I could hear the crowd noise but couldnt quite make out what the announcers were saying.

Okay, one final thing. There were tons of controversial foul calls in that game, but ESPN showed the replays of about 10% of them. Rather than watching Maxiell's block (which was a foul, watch how Garnett's right arm moves with the "block") for the 6th time, I'd like to see a replay of, hmm, i dont know, the 2 ridiculous offensive fouls in a row on KG? Just a thought. Maybe its because the NBA doesn't want ABC/ESPN to focus on the referees. I dont need to see every foul call, but if the best player on the C's is getting tagged with two ticky tack fouls, I'd like to see the replay and judge for myself.

Babcock said...

Ferrante, I'm with you on the replays, or lack thereof. I think that this has been happening a lot this post season...its especially annoying when you can hear the crowd react to watching a replay at the arena and we at home get a shot of Jeff Van Gundy and Mark Jackson flirting behind the scorers table.

And Don't sleep on Theo Ratliff, he led the league in shot blocking three times in the late 80s.