Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Babcock Report: The Cornocopia


I have a laundry list of things that I would like to touch on in this edition of the Babcock Report. And, in the interest of efficiency I am also going to throw in an abbreviated U2 Is Not Classic Rock as well. Here goes...

Celtics V Lakers


Kobe and Phil...Is this the End?

Despite the fact that people have made such a huge deal about the Celtics dominance at the free throw line in game 2 no one seems to be pointing out the fact that the total number of fouls called in the game was only 28-21 in favor of the Celtics. The discrepancy in free throws arises from the fact that the Lakers played like huge pussies and refused to attack the rim. In the same vein as the Phoenix Suns "Seven Seconds Or Less" approach to offense, I am officially naming the Lakers offensive scheme "Twelve Feet Or Further", which is where LA's melange of European creampuffs and "Confused" 6'10" "Power" forwards look to take all of their shots from. TFOF...you heard it hear first.
................................................................................
U G L Y...you aint got no Alibi...
I cannot help but see a striking resemblance between Pau Gasol and Randy Johnson. Both of these guys illicit the same "do they have to show a close up of his face every 45 seconds?!" response from me. I only wish that Gasol was from Germany so that we could call him "The Big Munich".

Who knew Pau had a sick Slider?



Curt Schilling (who was sitting court side) reported on his blog that Kobe spent almost the entire game berating and blaming his teammates for the Laker's struggles. If the Lakers lose the series, how many weeks until Kobe demands a trade out of LA again? Over-Under = 3 weeks.


Sorry Guys...Kobe Hates you.


Fast Food



If you have not yet tried the new McDonalds Chicken-Biscuit breakfast sandwich I cannot recommend it enough...it is delicious. Just chicken and a biscuit... simple, classic, a true culinary masterpiece. I have to put it right up there with the Wendy's Spicy Chicken sandwich as my favorite fast food chicken sandwiches.

U2 Is Not Classic Rock
(Abreviated Edition)


The Black Keys "Chulahoma"


If you are not familiar with The Black Keys they are a two piece band consisting of singer/guitarist Dan Auerbach (even in music I cannot escape a Celtics reference here) and drummer Patrick Carney. Much like the White Stripes they produce an amazingly powerful and textured sound despite the presence of only two instruments. They draw heavily on a classic blues/rock palette. If you read the last edition of U2 Is Not Classic Rock then you know I was planning on an all Blues edition. Well, I am still waiting for a few CDs to arrive in the mail but I didn't think that it was fair to hold out on you all until then. Much like the Chicken Biscuit breakfast sandwich, I cannot recommend this album enough.

The album itself is a collection of covers of the late great Junior Kimbrough. If you are not familiar with Kimbrough he is a real old school badass blues man in every way. If you like the blues check out his record label Fat Possum, there are many other great artists on board including R.L. Burnside, who is also a huge badass. Here is a picture of Junior Kimbrough:




Obviously, you can tell he is a badass. Anyway, the Black Keys cover his songs on this album and the whole thing is outstanding. From start to finish just straight up hard driving, heavy guitars-dripping with distortion blues. I also highly recommend the other Black Keys albums featuring their original compositions, particularly "Rubber Factory". 3 Cocks...Way up.

Final Thoughts

I think the Celtics win tonight and suck the will to live right out of LA. It is clear to me that the Celtics are the better team. They play better defense and they play together. Can you imagine how badly Garnett, Allen, and Pierce want this Championship? Now they are two games away...these guys have all played at such a high level for ten years or more in this league and now the only thing left to accomplish is within reach.

Enjoy this video in preparation for the game:




And also this:

4 comments:

Nick L. said...

Twelve feet or further is a fucking stroke of brilliance.

Nick L. said...

And, while we're on the topic, let me just point out that it is impossible to have coached Michael Jordan for as long as Phil did and to have never seen a game in which the officiating was as lopsided as game 2. Ridiculous. I can think of about 5 right off the top of my head.

Anonymous said...

As much as I am obsessed with new fast food and easily swayed by advertisements, I am boycotting the new McDonald's Chicken snadiwches. The fried chicken sandwich (not the biscut) is the bigger offender here, but these new commercials make it sound like eating these sandwiches will be a life altering event that brings me closer to my friends and family. When I first saw that chicken sandwich commercial, I thought it was one of those new "go green" ads that every company is putting out. It's a fucking chicken sandwich. I am going to enjoy it for 30-45 seconds and then take a manly shit 5 minutes later. Period.

Nick L. said...

Casten man, I have to agree with you here on the non-breakfast chicken sandwich. I got it to go, expecting some mayo or some ranch. I get in the car and start driving, and the fucking thing has no sauce on it. No fucking sauce. Just chicken, pickles and a bun. If I hadn't gotten a drink, I still would have been chewing it when I got back home.

Babcock, I know you have a very sophisticated pallet so I'll give this breakfast sandwich a try. But, if there's no sauce, I'm putting some on.

Wendy's spicy baconator is untouchable.