Saturday, June 7, 2008

Pre-Order the Free Darko Book


So, I pre-ordered FreeDarko presents The Macrophenomenal Pro Basketball Almanac: Styles, Stats, and Stars in Today's Game, and I'm recommending that you do the same. These guys really know their shit, and their unique and creative style is something that we need more of. Also, in a sense, in supporting their book you're really supporting the goals and dreams of the roomofzen. We'd love to someday have the opportunity to turn what we talk about here into a book, or a magazine, or some creative outlet that is more permanent and lucrative than this.

Those guys at Free Darko have been down on the Celtics big time lately, but I can't blame them. As a Giants fan living in Boston, I understand completely why people who aren't Boston sports fans hate Boston sports teams and their fans. As Babcock famously said in our pre-super bowl interview "I don't know what to tell you, New England fans are notorious douchebags." Furthermore, if I was not a Celtics fan and I heard people on ESPN comparing Paul Pierce on Thursday night to Willis Reed, I'd probably be pissed as well. I can tell you for a fact that I was in several parts of the city throughout my day yesterday, and I heard a lot of people stating explicitly that this was nowhere near Reed. Contrary to what many people around the country think, this is a very intelligent fanbase that knows a lot about sports. The only person who said it was just like Reed was me, and this was a blatant attempt to piss off a co-worker who is a fan of the Miami Heat and other Florida franchises.

Isn't ESPN ridiculous? They will try to turn anything into a spectacle. I think that Pierce coming back out was significant, and something that fans will remember. At the very least, it restored the hope that we had lost during those minutes that he was in the locker room. I also think anyone that thinks he was faking being hurt is an idiot and hasn't watched the Truth for the past ten years. The guy is not soft, and he was obviously in real pain when he was on the ground. But, it's not on the same level as Reed, who played a game 7 with a torn muscle. And yet, Stuart Scott wouldn't quit that angle on Thursday night. "Come on Wilbon, why not? Why not Willis Reed? Why not Willis Reed?" As if we are idiots and by saying it enough times he'll get us all to believe it. Their persistence in pushing these agendas, Arlen Spector's witchunt included, has turned them into an organization with no credibility.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

We had Marvin Harrison's gun. We had the guy that talked to the NFL about steroids dead. We had this whole Nick Kaczur thing. We had Marshawn Lynch now being said to have been driving an SUV that hit a pedestrian. If any of these issues had been NBA or MLB issues, they'd be a much bigger deal. How does the NFL keep these things so relatively quiet in the media? Discuss if you will. I'm going to make lattes.

No comments: