Thursday, June 5, 2008

Game 1: Keeping the Big Picture in Mind


I was very happy to get an e-mail from Erik Shea, Celtics fan and loyal roomofzen follower, saying the following

"just read the interview on room of zen with kurt from forum blue and gold. got me all pumped up about tonight. i don't think i've been this emotionally invested in a celtics game since the indiana series when we were like 11 years old and larry legend came back out of the tunnel in the fourth quarter after smacking his face on the parquet floor after diving for a loose ball.

i honestly didn't think i wasn't gonna get all nostalgic about this being a celtics-lakers series because i feel like the teams and game has changed so much since then, but it was actually the videos on room of zen (both the red video and the jordan video) that made me realize how great the nba actually is and how much it meant to me as a kid. i think remaining somewhat emotionally detached was a self-preservation technique, in case the celtics disappointed me with their play (as they have in several games during the playoffs)...but now i'm all in, for better or worse, ecstasy or heartbreak...damn you room of zen.
"

Now, Erik is a close friend of mine, and I know how much this Celtics championship would mean to him (The last time we lived near each other, we had specific assigned seats for everyone in the living room during the 2005 first round loss to Indiana). And, because of that, I totally understand why many of us are taking a guarded approach to this series. The Celtics haven'e been consistent this series, and this is a tough matchup. We had a very calming exchange of e-mails in which I shared with him this Bethlehem Shoals piece about the Shaq trade that I have kept bookmarked because, aside from being creative and well written, it really emphasizes the beauty and process of the game over the results.

I ended our exchange with this thought:
"also, as my final thought, I think the key (as the buddhist readings say) is to detach yourself from an outcome and just decide that you're going to enjoy and appreciate the process. It's hard for me, particularly in sports. But, if Kobe single-handedly destroys the Celtics in this series, then at least we got to witness a finals that seemed completely unlikely a year ago and what I'm certain will be an intense spectacle. One thing that helps is that I know this Celtics team leaves it all out on the floor every night, so I can't be upset with them if they lose."

Obviously, if the Celtics lose, I'm going to be pissed. But, at this point, there is no sense in worrying. I know that this team is going to leave everything they have on the floor. Even if they don't execute, they will give every ounce of effort that they have. I know that they've done that all year and given us the best season I can ever remember. I know that I am going to watch the greatest player in the NBA on the other side. There's no point in worrying, let's just get it started and enjoy it. Whatever happens, this season has been amazing. Nothing that happens during this series can change that. It can make it more amazing. But, it can't take away anything that has already happened.

For the record, this is not intended to indicate in any way that I am not optimistic or that I don't like the Celtics chances to win. I'm simply trying to help the roomofzen live up to its name.

No comments: