Friday, June 27, 2008

Public Service Announcement

At this risk of being the guy at ROOMOFZEN who always talks about food I want to make people aware of a disturbing new trend. It started during the regular season when I attended the first Celtics/Pistons game at the TD Banknorth Garden. At some point I headed to a concession stand to grab a snack and a beer. This was way back in December so I’m a little fuzzy on the details. But as I recall they offered some sort of buffalo chicken snack – boneless Buffalo wings, buffalo chicken tenders, something like that. I figured it would hit the spot. Thankfully the guy in front of me ordered whatever the hell it was. I watched in horror as the vendor simply covered the fried meat with hot sauce. This led to an inconsistent coating and prevented the meat from soaking up the sauce. That would be like grilling a steak and throwing some sauce on afterwards instead of marinating it ahead of time. Nobody wants that. In the end I went with 2 beers. Clearly I did not come out a loser in this situation and I narrowly avoided disaster. But I've seen this type of things in a few other places as well. This needs to be stopped immediately and order should be restored:

1 comment:

Nick L. said...

A few things here:

1) One, there is no reason for arena food to become airline food. They have things to cook right there, it's far from complimentary, and there's just no reason for it to be low quality. If you can't cook wings don't cook wings.

2) There are so many foods that are good at games: hot dogs, sausages, the spicy chorizo sausage at the Garden is amazing, nachos, pizza slices....there are plenty of good options, nobody would miss these "wings" if they went away.

3) If they got rid of them and saved money there, would beer get cheaper?