Thursday, June 12, 2008

Foil in the Oven: Pay the Prophet



This has been an incredible year in sports for me. I never thought I would be accused of being a bandwagon hopper for being a Red Sox, Giants, and Celtics fan (note: I'm omitting the UCONN Huskies here because they have been strong for my whole life and were not strong this year). And yet, here I am, a fan of the World Series champs, the Super Bowl champs, and in the midst of watching my favorite NBA team play for an NBA title. The Giants Super Bowl victory gave me a feeling like none I have ever experienced because it was so unexpected. It took five full days for me to even write about it on this site because I was so awed.

Not a day has gone by since the Super Bowl that I have not woken up and thought about the Giants Super Bowl. Really. Some days my alarm has gone off and I say in my head "oh fuck it's early....The Giants won the Super Bowl" and I spring out of bed. Some days it's "Jesus I bet it's cold as shit outside. I would cut off a finger if I could just stay in bed right now.....Holy shit, the Giants won the Super Bowl" and then I work my way up to the sitting position. Some days it's "Holy shit my head hurts. I'm a fucking idiot. Ah, the Giants" and I somehow find myself at work several hours later, apparently having gone through my normal routine. This is really how it's gone. And, it doesn't end there. Watching this video to start my day has been my key to success for several months now. Every day I watch it, and then hit the ground running, ready to kick ass all day:



That video still gives me goosebumps four and a half months later, and I expect that it always will. But, eventually, I would have to shift my focus away from basking in the glory of 07-08 to focusing on the challenges that lie ahead in 08-09. I was prepared for this. I just didn't think that it would happen so soon.

Many challenges lay ahead of the Giants, some expected and some unexpected, as they took the field yesterday at their mandatory mini-camp. For the first time in 15 years, Michael Strahan is not in the plans for this season. I was ready for that. Jeremy Shockey attended but did not participate. Hell, this was more than I expected, but I still have no idea how that situation will play out. What caught me off guard, and what seems to have caught the media in general off guard, was the fact that Plaxico Burress refused to practice because he wants a new contract. I don't know why but this popped the Super Bowl fantasy bubble that I had been living in for nearly five months now. Super Bowl 42 is a great memory, but I've now put it behind me, and I'm ready to focus all of my attention on the season at hand.

I've been tossing around this Shockey situation for months now, and I've gone back and forth.
The guy is a great player, no doubt about it. His receiving skills are well-documented, and he is an exceptional blocker. In fact, I think it is his run-blocking that is most valuable to this Giants team. On the field, there is no question that the Giants are much better with Shockey than without him. He's an impact player. Anyone who tells you otherwise is an asshole. But, they can't keep him on if he continues to act the way that he has been for the past few months. It could potentially ruin the team. The guy is a constant distraction as it is. Him being unhappy with the organization will only exacerbate his distracting effect.

The 06-07 Giants were like a circus by the end. There were so many distractions and bits of drama in the media. It was horrible. It left such a bad taste in my mouth. I thought they were crazy for extending Tom Coughlin another year after that, but I'll give him credit for turning the team atmosphere around last season. This team can't fall back into their old form. If dealing Shockey is what it takes, then that's what they need to do. I hate to say it, because he's such a good player, but I just don't see any other way for this to resolve itself. Other than a trade, he hasn't indicated that he wants anything. There don't seem to be any contract issues. What options do the Giants have?


I'm not worried about the Plax situation. The Giants will pay him, and this is certainly not the kind of thing that would affect the team's chemistry. Usually, I get bummed out whenever I read about an NFL player holding out for a new contract. I never like being reminded that this is all about money at the end of the day. But, in this case, I think Plax is justified. What he did for the organization last season was incredible. He played hurt for almost the entire season. He caught 70 balls. He had over 1,000 receiving yards. His performance in the NFC championship game against Green Bay will go down as one of the greatest individual performances in the history of the franchise. And, in case you've forgotten, he also caught the winning touchdown in the Super Bowl.

There are three years left on Burress' contract, and his average salary during those three years will be 3.5 million. Certainly, he's underpaid for his abilities. His agent is also Drew Rosenhaus, the same slimy, crooked motherfucker that represents TO. So, this isn't something that is just going to go away. And, like I said, I don't have a problem with this. Burress very well may have shortened his career by playing hurt this season. And, because there are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL, he needs to make sure he gets his money now before it is too late. And, before you start judging Plax and declaring that he should honor his contract, ask yourself whether or not you hold the players and the organization to a double standard. Many times, people criticize players for not wanting to play out their contract and then don't seem upset when an organization cuts a guy that they don't feel is earning their money. The bottom line is that the man needs a new contract. The Giants need to get this done before training camp.




-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


I couldn't focus on anything yesterday. The anticipation for Game 4 has been building, and I expect to be at a pretty steady rage by tonight. Pierce and KG will be rested and they will play better. Rondo's injury scares me, but it sounds like he's playing. It's a sprained ankle, which guys play on all the time obviously, but I just worry about whether or not he'll be able to get any penetration. I read several sources that said Doc may consider playing Tony Allen at the point, which could be disastrous. In my mind, you play Rondo or House. If that's not working, then give the ball to Ray or Pierce and have them bring it up. There's no need for Cassell or Tony Allen to be on the court. Who knows. It's the Finals. No excuses. If the Celtics are aggressive and play a physical game, I'm confident that they take tonight. Just pound the shit out of them.



The picture below is the new addition to my desk. Hopefully it can inspire me to write some more creative things. The man in Mexico that sold it to me said it was made out of shells, but who the hell knows if that's true or if I even understood him correctly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

fantastic post about the giants, nick

trade shockey, pay burress, and retrieve your lost super bowl rings

i bet you bellichek stole them cuz he's jealous

Anonymous said...

If Belichick did steal the rings, think he was caught on camera? I need to crack jokes to mask the pain. Nick, nice work with the NFL post. Wonder if the Giants will have the same type of Super Bowl hangover you experienced?

Anyways, quick thought on the Celts, particularly Garnett. I think he has both the most to lose and the most to gain in terms of his reputation. Some in the national media had suggested Kobe did, because he would still be in Shaq's shadow. (Side note: if they win, think he will pull the monkey off his back, ala Steve Young in the '94 Super Bowl?) I say this for a couple reasons:

1.) Potential upside. Right now Garnett is practically the Dan Marino of the NBA. Great player, can't win the big one. If the Celtics win, all that melts away and he's John Elway. He will be regarded as one of the best power forwards of all time, with no caveats, and no asterisks about how he couldnt win the big one. If the Lakers win, Kobe gets rid of that monkey and really cements himself as one of the greatest of all time... but he isnt all that far off right now. Despite not having a ring without Shaq, he is still generally regarded as a top 10 player in the history of the NBA. Both have upside here, but Garnett's is much bigger.

2.) Current reputation. Despite the Shaq thing, Kobe is regarded as the game's best closer, a killer when the game is on the line. Right or wrong, Garnett's reputation is that he shies away from such scenarios, and that he can't carry a team. If the Celtics lose, the media will pin it on Garnett's shoulders and write all about how he chokes, can't win the big one, can't carry the team. If the Lakers lose, its more likely to be that Kobe's teammates didn't step up, but he did all he could. The #1 seed and MVP did alot to alleviate the media pressure on Kobe, win or lose.

3.) Window of opportunity. Garnett is older than Kobe and likely has a smaller window to win. No one knows how much longer he can be productive, especially given how much he beats himself up on the court with his intense style of play. There are alot of miles on that 32 year old body. Ray Allen's ankles may give out, and Pierce may lose a step. All of this may not happen, but if you're asking if the Lakers or Celtics are more likely to win more championships over the next 5 years, it has to be the Lakers. Thus, Kobe is more likely to be able to redeem himself if they lose this year. KG... maybe not.


All in all, I want the Celtics to get a championship as much for Pierce and Garnett (and Ray, but to a lesser extent) as I do for myself. For Garnett, its the difference between being Dan Marino and John Elway.

Babcock said...

nice points ferrante about KG and Kobe, I totally agree... and I think we can all agree on this point: No one wants to be Dan Marino.