Thursday, June 5, 2008

Silence the Critics and Seize Control of the Media!

Danny-boy is at it again. Heir Napoleon just bought up the premier sports-talk radio station in the DC-area (Sports-Talk 980) and expanded his empire of sports propaganda. I hate to be negative, especially after lambasting Rick Reilly, but this is horrendous news for a lot of reasons:

1. It will silence the only vocal Redskins critics on talk radio. Doc Walker, for example, rants and raves about how badly the Redskins organization is run. He also is the only personality with the balls enough to say that Synder is doing a horrible job. I can almost guarantee you guys that he will be fired the second Dan completes the sale of 980. I’m sure Doc has already started looking for a new job.

2. It will put the Sports Reporters out of business. Like Doc Walker, these guys criticize the hell out of the Redskins. They are also hilarious. I will miss them badly.

3. It will prevent us from hearing objective, free talk radio on the Redskins. The first thing a tyrannical government does is silence the independent media from causing trouble or making the despot look bad. Stalin, for example, took control of the Pravda when he gained control of the Politburo after the First World War. The reasoning is this: control the message, control the people. Mission accomplished, I guess.

4. It may force me to sign up for XM or Sirrius and therefore shell-out money for radio. I have mixed feelings about this: on the one hand, satellite radio is good because you can hear uncensored shock jocks like Stern. On the other hand, you lose the local flavor of stations like Sports-talk 980.

3 comments:

Babcock said...

Let me throw this at you...one of the features of satellite radio (I own a sirius so I can at least speak for them...it is awesome) is that you can switch through an entire list of different cities to get traffic and weather. They should offer a service that would allow you to scroll through a list of cites and select their sports radio stations that way. So, for instance if the Redskins were playing San Francisco you could flip to the San Francisco sports radio station.

Or, I guess you could just listen to it on the internet. I was just really excited about that idea but I am actually not so pumped now. But anyway, Ray Allen just hit a sick 3 and the Lakers called a timeout.

Overall I would reccommend Sirius wholeheartedly.

Nick L. said...

Why hasn't Sirius made their motto "Sirius about radio" or "this radio is sirius" or something like that. Who hires these people.

Anonymous said...

thats an amazing idea - allow radio-heads to pick up local stations through their xm - insert yourself into the vortex with ease

im sure there are some regulatory / monopoly concerns there, though