Monday, June 30, 2008

Foil in the Oven: A Stroll Down Memory Lane


Gilby (or, Ted Gilbert, as he is known in the blogosphere) and a friend launched a magazine called Lunchmeat last week. It has a lot of great stuff in it, and the response thus far has been overwhelmingly positive. The magazine reviews obscure movies, and has a lot of creative material. I am not a connoisseur of film by any means, but I found this to be incredibly entertaining nonetheless. Ted is a great writer, and I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anybody that knows him who wouldn't tell you that this is a worthwhile investment. We're all really excited about it. You can pick it up on the Relapse Records website.

And, in case you needed more convincing, this is what the cover looks like:



----------------------------------------------------------------------

I was away this weekend for a family barbecue, and I returned home just in time to work last night and this morning. Hence, I have no time for a full Foil in the Oven. However, I have two links prepared for you to read. These are some of the earlier roomofzen work. Since the NBA playoffs began, we have just about tripled our readership. I always find it enjoyable to look back at the archives. We didn't really have as much direction when we first started, and we probably weren't quite the writers we are now, but I'd like to think that we've preserved the spirit and style of the early days.

First, this piece by Babcock was one of the first roomofzen posts ever. From the early fall of 2007, this piece had me in stitches and is still the post that brings the most new readers from Google searches. Essentially, this is the Babcock Report before there was a Babcock Report.


This is one of the earliest Foil in the Oven editions on record. I don't really know if it is good, or if it is an attempt at humor gone totally wrong. I had been awake for 48 hours straight when I wrote it. I returned home from work at 11 PM, wrote it, then there was a problem saving it and I had to write it again. It took a long time because of all the links. The next day at work, which was Christmas Eve, I actually fell asleep on my feet while being paid.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coming up this week from ROOMOFZEN

- We've been very harsh on Al Davis and Jerry Jones for their spending this off-season. But, are they actually a few steps ahead of us in terms of what they believe the future holds with regard to the NFL's collective bargaining agreement?

- Is it time that the Celtics stop retiring numbers and think of a different system (perhaps the ring of honor). They may be less likely to retire a great players number now because they are running out. Why should we be cheated out of ceremonies for the great players of our era because they gave out so many in the past?


Finally, please check out Weeksy's piece below. It's fantastic.

2 comments:

Weeks said...

Excellent post. I had read your Christmas shopping one before but the Celtics dancers one was new. In that spirit I want to share the first ROOMOFZEN post I ever read - http://www.roomofzen.com/2007/12/from-frontlines.html

It still kills me.

Anonymous said...

can anyone locate the barry sanders hall of fame induction video? it would make my day/month...possibly year. (his laugh will put you on the floor)