Monday, June 23, 2008

Foil in the Oven: from the internet cafe




I had a great post in mind as I left work last Friday, not too long and incredibly important given the impending weekend. About an hour before I left for work, my playoff withdrawal began, and I had to start facing the depression that was quickly setting in. Sure I had plans that night, but what could possibly give me the stimulation that I had become used to virtually every night for the previous two months. I felt empty inside. Sure, football would come eventually, but the way I was feeling it seemed like an eternity away.

A customer that had also been at the game last Tuesday came in. We briefly discussed how awesome it had been. He then said, "but man, I gotta tell you, even last night.....my wife was away, I had to get up early today so I didn't want to go out. I was really bummed out last night with no game on. Like really depressed." It was then that I realized I wasn't alone. Basketball fans all around the nation would be feeling that same sinking feeling, and I had to figure out a way to help them. My mind sprung into action, and I put together the perfect plan to fight playoff withdrawal over the weekend. It went something like this:

1) Stay positive: Remember, we've got Team USA basketball playing later on this summer. Just watch baseball for about a month, then you can watch basketball, and then by the time that ends college football and NFL pre-season will be in full swing. The light at the end of the tunnel is closer than you think.

2) Just because there isn't basketball on TV doesn't mean that you can't watch basketball. I recommend watching two of these four favorites:

A) White Men Can't Jump: One of my favorites. Great action, great characters, great lines. A winner all around. As soon as I started step one, I wanted to watch this movie.

B) He Got Game: A great movie, particularly if you are a UCONN fan. It seems especially relevant given the role that Ray Allen played in this post-season.

C) Blue Chips: I love this one. I'm willing to concede that it might not be a "good movie". But, I was 11 when it came out. To be 11 during that time meant that you would like any movie that came out starring Shaq and Penny Hardaway. I'd say the same rule applies for No Holds Barred with Hulk Hogan. And, while we're on the topic of this movie, apparently Nick Nolte used to be an internationally recognized sex symbol. I'm glad I missed out on that.

D) No Holds Barred: Just decided to Throw it in at the Last Minute. Not a basketball movie, but certainly good for curing all forms of depression.

---A note here: It really depends on your age. There are some that would prefer to watch Hoosiers. I'm not one of them.

3) You probably haven't read anything other than a sports magazine or a "sports" magazine since before the playoffs started. Reading a book will help to strengthen your mind, and a strong mind will help you to fight this depression. I read Breaks of the Game right before the playoffs started and it was pretty interesting. But, I'm going to recommend Shaky: Neil Young's Biography . This is hands down the most bad ass book out there.

4) the Drive for 17 should be on Comcast Sportsnet a lot. Watch often, and consider DVRing in case you have any bad episodes.


So, I had this plan all laid out. I was going to follow it, and I was going to post it for all of you. I even stopped on the way home and purchased the "Harlem Globetrotters: The Team the Changed the World DVD", which came highly recommended. On the way home, I decided I would include the Ghetto Cowboy video, just because.

Here it is:





So, I had great plans for Friday afternoon. Then, I returned home to find that we had been robbed. Somebody had broken into our apartment and taken all of our valuables. Now, I can tell you that getting robbed is the most effective method that I have found to get basketball off your mind, but I certainly don't recommend it. The detectives came, they took prints, and then they took ours. At this point the investigation is open. But, I imagine that if they don't get a hit on the prints (sick Law and Order phrase) then the investigation will end.

So there are a few important things here:

1) My girlfriend has renter's insurance. This is a very good thing to get. I can't recommend it enough. It's just over 100 bucks a year, and it covers you up to 20 or 30 grand depending on your plan. Really, get it right now.

2) For the time being, I have no computer. Hence, my posts will be less frequent and shorter in length.

3) The roomofzen will not allow our momentum to be slowed by these thieves. We have added Weeks (you may know him as Jim from Green Bandwagon), which we have wanted to do for some time. Please help us by writing in comments and sending e-mails to oracle@roomofzen.com .

4) Sure, they took all of our electronics and ALMOST everything of value. However, the Taliek Brown autographed basketball was spared and still sits on high in the living room. It's nice to know that some things are still sacred.

1 comment:

Weeks said...

Great call on the renter's insurance. Lot of people don't know about it and it's fantastic. Sucks you got robbed, although at least you can laugh at it to a degree. Your comments about the autographed ball had a real Big Lebowski feel. Really tied the room together...